Service Wanted to Call US 800 Numbers From Canada

Post by Ian Angu » Wed, 13 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> Is there a service that I can use that allows me (in Canada) to call a
> toll number in the US and then get tied into a line that lets me call
> an 800 number that can not be normally dialed from Canada?  Is there
> any way at all possible to call a US 800 number from Canada?
> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Didn't we have something here not too
> long ago about a special three digit code used by some telco in
> Canada for just this purpose?  Perhaps someone could
> contact Mr. Kramerwith details.     PAT]

BC Tel offers this, but it is available only in British Columbia.
Several long distance carriers *used* to offer it when they had
line-side access, but the feature was lost when they converted to
trunk (ie "equal") access. It may still be available from some of the
smaller line-side resellers -- that would depend on where Mr. Kramer
is.

Of course the real solution would be for US companies with 800 and 888
numbers to realize that they have potential customers outside of the
50 states. This is a continuing grievance for Canadians, who could
dial the 800 numbers if only the companies advertising them would
instruct their carriers to allow calls from Canada.

It's even worse in other parts of the world -- it's astounding how
many computer companies, for example, run ads which are seen world
wide, with no method of contact except a US-only 800 or 888 number.

IAN ANGUS

Angus TeleManagement Group           http://www.angustel.ca
8 Old Kingston Road                  tel: 905-686-5050 ext 222
Ajax ON L1T 2Z7     Canada           fax: 905-686-2655

Post by Nils Anderss » Thu, 14 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> It's even worse in other parts of the world -- it's astounding how
> many computer companies, for example, run ads which are seen world
> wide, with no method of contact except a US-only 800 or 888 number.

Right On!!!!

The simplest solution for non-NANP countries would be to allow 800 calls,
and charge for them. Being that they are preceded with a country code,
there should be no confusion.

Another (quite compatible) solution is the 880/881 overlay of 800/888,
where the call gets charged. This can be used when calling from inside or
outside the NANP. (Does it work? Comments anyone?)  One catch with  both
solutions is that 800-numbers would have to be unique within the NANP
(i.e. country code 1), not just unique within one country.

Thus, they would have to follow the same standards as any other area code
(except the ill-fated 700 ...).

When Sweden started toll-free numbers (020), I could dial them from
the US by dialling normally, 011-46-20-xx xx xx, but after about a
year they suddenly disallowed that. I have no idea why.

Same issue for other countries with toll-free area codes. Why not simply
allow them when coming from another country code?

Another issue: What happened with the ITU desision to implement
international toll free? How will it work? I asked AT&T and they said
they would get back to me, and did not. Will there be a special
country code?

Regards,

Nils Andersson

Service Wanted to Call US 800 Numbers From Canada

Post by Danny Batema » Thu, 14 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Bezek, the local PTT here in Israel, and until next year, the only
long distance (i.e. overseas) provider, allows you to call an 800
number in the US by dialing area code 880 instead.  When you call an
800 number in country code 1 (00-1-800-xxx-xxxx) you get a recording
stating that you can call an 800 number by using the 880 code instead,
at normal call rates to the US.

When calling an 800 number with this 880 area code, the following message
is heard before it rings:

 "Access to the number you have dialed is not free of charge outside
the US, If answered, you will be charged international direct dialing
rates for this call. If you do not want to proceed with this call
please hang up now."

I don't know how they are going to support the same service for 888
numbers, and what happens if area code 880 is assigned?

Danny Bateman            Telrad Telecommunications    M1 S/W Department

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I do not think 880 will be assigned.
I believe I read here in the Digest (possibly something from Mark Cuccia)
saying that 880 was among the 88x codes being reserved?    PAT]

Service Wanted to Call US 800 Numbers From Canada

Post by Ed Eller » Thu, 14 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Didn't we have something here not too
> long ago about a special three digit code used by some telco in
> Canada for just this purpose?  Perhaps someone could contact Mr. Kramer
> with details.     PAT]

Something's being ignored here -- many 800 numbers are either
available only in certain regions or are directed to different
locations depending on where the call comes from.  If the customer
that has the 800/888 number doesn't want calls from outside a certain
area, should callers from outside the U.S. be able to get around this?
And if the 800/888 customer has only defined calling regions within
the U.S., where should foreign calls be directed?

Service Wanted to Call US 800 Numbers From Canada

Post by Nils Anderss » Thu, 14 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Either this group or the ... tech group had a discussion. Candidates
for use are 880 and 881 (or is it 881 and 882) for 800 and 888
respectively.  It is unclear to me if they work, and from where. There
is a report about 700, but it _should_not_work_.

Another possibility is to use an AT&T access line and an AT&T or local
telco credit card (Canadian might be OK, I do not know). Try it all
and let us know what works.

Sample number to call: 800-223 6177, GTE billing in California.

Regards (and awaiting results with baited breath)

Nils Andersson

Post by Tony Toe » Fri, 15 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> Of course the real solution would be for US companies with 800 and 888
> numbers to realize that they have potential customers outside of the
> 50 states. This is a continuing grievance for Canadians, who could
> dial the 800 numbers if only the companies advertising them would
> instruct their carriers to allow calls from Canada.

After all we're a potential market about the size of California!  And
we don't have much else to do up here in winter! <grin> Actually the
situation is much better than it was years ago when telco rules
wouldn't allow this.  I can also recall seeing many ads which stated
800 this for the US but 800 that for one particular state.

Quote:> It's even worse in other parts of the world -- it's astounding how
> many computer companies, for example, run ads which are seen world
> wide, with no method of contact except a US-only 800 or 888 number.

At least web sites help with that problem. And most post a regular fax
number so you can get them that way.

But right now there's a small outfit whose information consists of an
US only 800 sales number and a fax number.  No email or website.  I've
looked up the phone number via Infoseek and see a somewhat similar
name.  But there's no answer at that phone number.  So as much as I'd
like more information on that company's product and I'd likely spend
some money on it, I can't.   Oh, and no response yet from the fax I
sent about a week ago.  I guess they don't want my money.

Back in the days before the web and newsgroups, at least available in
rural Alberta, I used to ask folks in my favourite Fidonet echo's to
phone the 800's for me and post their real number.  Or if their
address was available, and many times it wasn't, I'd try directory
assistance. Which now costs.

Tony Toews, Independent Computer Consultant
Jack of a few computer related trades and master (or certified) of none.
Microsoft Access Hints & Tips: Accounting Systems, Winfax Pro, Reports
and Books at http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm

Post by John R. Gro » Fri, 15 Nov 1996 04:00:00

(Nils Andersson) writes:

>> It's even worse in other parts of the world -- it's astounding how
>> many computer companies, for example, run ads which are seen world
>> wide, with no method of contact except a US-only 800 or 888 number.
> Right On!!!!
> The simplest solution for non-NANP countries would be to allow 800 calls,
> and charge for them. Being that they are preceded with a country code,
> there should be no confusion.

As has been pointed out before on c.d.t, but not recently, 800/888
numbers have different properties than regular phone numbers.

1.  An 800 number can have limited coverage within the USA (a frequent
    situation) and so could be assigned to different customers in different
    parts of the USA (I have no figures about how often this happens).

2.  An 800 number can forward calls to different offices in different parts
    of the USA ... the Internal Revenue Service does this, and so does my
    insurance company, Amica.

3.  AT&T pioneered a service which reroutes 800 calls to use cheaper
    services (e.g., intra-LATA or local) when possible (many national
    advertisers used to exclude the state in which they operated their 800
    service from their national 800 number's coverage pattern to avoid
    extra toll charges) ... I don't know if the other IXC's offer similar
    things.

Coordinated Science Laboratory     University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Post by Bruce Waldm » Fri, 15 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> Is there a service that I can use that allows me (in Canada) to call a
> toll number in the US and then get tied into a line that lets me call
> an 800 number that can not be normally dialed from Canada?  Is there
> any way at all possible to call a US 800 number from Canada?
> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Didn't we have something here not too
> long ago about a special three digit code used by some telco in
> Canada for just this purpose?  Perhaps someone could contact Mr. Kramer
> with details.     PAT]

We have a special prefix in New Zealand to reach USA 800 numbers
through Telecom NZ.  However it is much cheaper and more efficient to
use a USA callback service.  Dale might want to try one with Canadian
800 access.  He would dial through to the switch in the USA and then
enter the USA 800 number.  I can provide details as to a supplier.
Worked fine for me when I was visiting Montreal last summer,  and it
was cheaper than a local call from the payphone.

Bruce Waldman

Post by Leonard Ericks » Fri, 15 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> Is there a service that I can use that allows me (in Canada) to call a
> toll number in the US and then get tied into a line that lets me call
> an 800 number that can not be normally dialed from Canada?  Is there
> any way at all possible to call a US 800 number from Canada?

Why not try using 880? That is, instead of dialing 800-xxx-yyyy, dial
880-xxx-yyyy. For 888 numbers, substitute 881.

If it works, you'd be charged LD for at least part of the distance, but
it'd otherwise be ok. This dodge *was* created to allow folks outside
ITU zone 1 to reach 800 and 888 numbers, but I suspect that it'll work
for out of region 800 calls too.

Leonard Erickson (aka Shadow)

Post by Kimmo Ketolainen +358 40 555 55 » Fri, 15 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> It's even worse in other parts of the world -- it's astounding how
> many computer companies, for example, run ads which are seen world
> wide, with no method of contact except a US-only 800 or 888 number.

U.S. 800 and 888 numbers _can_ be dialed from abroad. I suspect most
Western European countries have an operator allowing this. All three
Finnish (universal access)  international operators allow dialing 00
1 800 ... (or with their own access code)  for the normal U.S. rate.

Post by Peter Carles » Sat, 16 Nov 1996 04:00:00

lcs.mit.edu>:

> Is there a service that I can use that allows me (in Canada) to call a
> toll number in the US and then get tied into a line that lets me call
> an 800 number that can not be normally dialed from Canada?  Is there
> any way at all possible to call a US 800 number from Canada?

> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Didn't we have something here not too
> long ago about a special three digit code used by some telco in
> Canada for just this purpose?  Perhaps someone could contact Mr. Kramer
> with details.     PAT]

The telco in Canada that was offering the service (for a fee) was BCTel
which only operates in the province of British Columbia. From Dale's email
address it appears that he lives in the province of Ontario, so this would
be of little use to him.

One possible solution is a service called Net2Phone. This service
allows you to call regular telephone numbers from your PC through the
Internet using a microphone and sound card. The company does charge
for this service but allows you to call 1-800 numbers free of
charge. I did try it, and was able to connect with 800 numbers that
were unavailable from Canada, but I found the connection so bad as to
be all but useless. You may have a better connection to the Internet
and get better results.  If you want to explore it further their
website is at http://www.net2phone.com/ .

1. Service to call US 800 #'s from Canada

Is there a service that I can use that allows me (in Canada) to call a toll
# in the US and then get tied into a line that lets me call an 800 number
that can not be normally dialed from Canada.  Is there any way at all
possible to call a US 800 # from Canada?

Dale Kramer

2. How to hide workbook if user chooses "disable macros"

3. Need Canada LD Company; I Need to Call Canada-Only 800 Number

4. Can't send e-mail with e-10/outlook synch?

5. How to Reach an 800 Number Restricted to US From Canada

6. Gemulator Classic

7. Dialing "Blocked" US 1-800, 888, 877 Numbers from Canada

8. INetCfg or Inf

9. Dialing "Blocked" US 1-800, 888, 877 Numbers From Canada

10. How Can One Dial a US 1-800 Number From Canada?