Information Wanted on Call Processing Applications

Information Wanted on Call Processing Applications

Post by Kevin Davi » Thu, 26 Mar 1992 08:28:41

Has anyone worked with call processing equipment for micros?

In particular, we're looking at some applications which require the
use of digitized voice, at touch-tone detection for the software.  One
company I know of, Dialogic, has hardware to handle this. Has anyone
any experience with this company or ones like it?

(This will be on 80486 machines with either DOS or Unix).

Thanks in advance.

Kevin Davies            Public Access Unix
UUCP:  dalcs!iisat!kevin   or   cs.dal.ca!iisat!kevin

Post by Norm Ale » Sat, 28 Mar 1992 08:26:13

Quote:(Kevin Davies) writes:
> Has anyone worked with call processing equipment for micros?
> In particular, we're looking at some applications which require the
> use of digitized voice, at touch-tone detection for the software.  One
> company I know of, Dialogic, has hardware to handle this. Has anyone
> any experience with this company or ones like it?
> (This will be on 80486 machines with either DOS or Unix).

Dialogic makes good equipment, and has by far the largest share of the
market for voice-processing hardware.  Two other good companies are
Natural Microsystems of Natick, Mass. (508/650-1300), and Rhetorex
(forgot their number).  They both have drivers for both DOS and Unix,
but another good operating system you should think of is OS/2 (in
fact, many people think it's *best* for voice processing apps -- its
multithreading is fantastic).  Natural Microsystems has two
programming products to help you develop your application: ME/2 is a
set of C-language libraries, and Vscript is a full fourth-generation
voice application programming language.  Dialogic depends on other
vendors to supply similar products.

I have a Natural Microsystems four-line card and the ME/2 libraries,
and I'm very happy with the combination.