How to Reach an 800 Number Restricted to US From Canada

How to Reach an 800 Number Restricted to US From Canada

Post by yikes9.. » Tue, 04 Mar 2003 05:14:25

I have quite often wished to reach an 800 in the US from here in
Canada but found that it was not dialable from here.  Sometimes the
800 listing is all I have!  In these cases I would wish I knew of a
service or method free or not I can use to connect to the 800 number
or even the terminating number the restricted 800 number is forwarded
to.  Any ideas people?

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: There are a few 'gateway' numbers for
that purpose, at least from overseas back to United States. You pay
for a call to the gateway, then dial the 800 number on the company's
nickle. I do not know about one for Canada to USA. Anyone?   PAT]

How to Reach an 800 Number Restricted to US From Canada

Post by John R. Levi » Wed, 05 Mar 2003 11:41:34

Quote:> I have quite often wished to reach an 800 in the US from here in
> Canada but found that it was not dialable from here.  Sometimes the
> 800 listing is all I have!  In these cases I would wish I knew of a
> service or method free or not I can use to connect to the 800 number
> or even the terminating number the restricted 800 number is forwarded
> to.  Any ideas people?

Since Canada and the US have an integrated numbering plan, anyone with
a US 800 number can opt to accept Canadian calls.  On my number I
don't, not because I have anything against Canadians, but because the
calls are expensive (like 10 times more than domestic US calls) and in
my case my number for some reason appears in the phone book of a large
Canadian insurance company so nearly all the calls I got from Canada
were wrong numbers.

Most businesses with any sense publish a POTS number for people who
can't call the 800 number.  Lacking that, I'm afraid you're out of
luck.

If you know that the 800 number is carried by one of the large
carriers, if you call the USA Direct number for the carrier and pay
for the all at the usual inflated rate with a credit card, it may go
through.

John R. Levine, IECC, POB 727, Trumansburg NY 14886 +1 607 387 6869

Member, Provisional board, Coalition Against Unsolicited Commercial E-mail

1. Dialing "Blocked" US 1-800, 888, 877 Numbers from Canada

Some of the long-distance companies (I forget which, but call around --
you'll probably get the most luck with the medium-size outfits /
resellers) offer a service whereby you pay a fee per minute "to the
border" and they allow you to call US 800 numbers. Totally legal,
although not necessarily cheap.

Louis

2. Urgent_Decrease the login timeout when no DC is available

3. Dialing "Blocked" US 1-800, 888, 877 Numbers From Canada

4. Compaq iPAQ 3760/ActiveSync 3.5

5. ip strangeness

6. How Can One Dial a US 1-800 Number From Canada?

7. FS: KDS Valiant 6380 P3-800

8. Service Wanted to Call US 800 Numbers From Canada

9. How Can One Dial a US 1-800 Number From Canada?

10. Dialing "Blocked" US 1-800, 888, 877 Numbers from Canada

11. Need Canada LD Company; I Need to Call Canada-Only 800 Number