Ain't Spammers Funny?

Post by Joey Lindstro » Thu, 17 Apr 2003 09:08:30

My mail system just trapped a piece of spam.  Actually it traps about
60 a day, but I found this one to be a particularly funny example of
how spammers don't have a clue about who they're sending their mail to
(ie: their advertising is not "targetted").

I won't quote the entire spam.  Just the subject line and first little
bit:

Subj: Cure Job Monotony tommy

YOUR DEGREE MAY BE CLOSER THAN YOU THINK

We remove the obstacles that cause *s to abandon hope.  DID YOU
KNOW that you could earn your legitimate Associate's, Bachelor's,
Master's or even Doctorate degree, utilizing your already existing
professional or academic expertise?

          ==================================

OK, that's the spam.  What makes it funny (well, ok, maybe only to me)
is that it was addressed to one of my clients.  That client is New
Jersey Devils defenceman Tommy Albelin, a man at the tail end of a
long, successful NHL career, who earns $1.2 million (US) per year to
play about 40 games (and watch the other 40 from the press box) and
who is a good bet to earn his second Stanley Cup ring over the next 6
or 7 weeks.  Hardly a candidate for needing "hope" with his job
prospects.  Then again, the man DOES drive a Volvo, a very monotonous
car... :-) (Drives it like a cab driver, too - and I oughtta know,
having been one.)

(This spam was addressed to his "public" email address, which was
obviously harvested from his website.  His "private" email address
gets no spam at all.)

Veteran Shayne Corson just walked out on the Toronto Maple Leafs, in
the middle of the playoffs.  Maybe *HE* got this spam too.  :-)

/ From the desk of Joey Lindstrom
/
/ To my mind a bargain is something I need at a price I can afford.
/         -- Robert Heinlein, "Travels"

Ain't Spammers Funny?

Post by Ray Normande » Sat, 19 Apr 2003 00:17:50

<:">

Quote:> My mail system just trapped a piece of spam.  Actually it traps about
> 60 a day, but I found this one to be a particularly funny example of
> how spammers don't have a clue about who they're sending their mail to
> (ie: their advertising is not "targetted").

I get spam for septic tank cleaners and I live in the heart of NYC.

No septic tanks near my apartment building.

Invalid Email above, but you may reach me via "List Owner" at:
allows email to ONE "List Owner" at a time, thereby eliminating ALL
addresses in a spam list except for the first one!

1. Ain't Spammers Funny?

What about all of us non-US people who continually get spammed for US
services or products?

You'd think the spammers wouldn't be that brain dead to at least filter
out the non-US domains!

Regards,

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

Dilbert's words of wisdom #18: Never argue with an idiot. They drag
you down to their level then beat you with experience.

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Well, you'd think they would not be
that brain dead, period. Even with my very own deseased brain, as bad
as it has gotten since the aneurysm in 1999, I'd never stoop to the
kinds of crapola most of them send out. But then, I didn't make 844
thousand dollars last quarter,

2. Jornada 548

3. So, ZyXEL's new modems are delayed, and it ain't the software...

4. Using Outlook Shared Calendar with Sharepoint Events Calendar

5. Net Speed Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet

6. Does anyone have IE3/NS3 working on PATHWORKS V5/6 DOS/WIN 3.1???

7. Telocity Ain't Bad - at least where I am - Here's my experience

8. Mac N64 emulator

9. Telephone 'Gag' on "People Are Funny" in 1957

10. E-mail 'Spammer' Settles Lawsuit For $2 Million

11. My 56K ain't...

12. It ain't over: Diamond ups the ante for Hayes

13. Modem Baud Rate - There ain't no such animal.