Cellular Coverage in General (was Re: Sprint Coverage)

Cellular Coverage in General (was Re: Sprint Coverage)

Post by Dr. Joel M. Hoffm » Sun, 26 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>> [Sprint's] big problem is poor coverage.  It takes a huge number of
>> cell sites to provide coverage in a band that's basically line of
> Your story makes it sound so bad as to make me wonder if you have the
> cause right. Are you really talking about signal quality (the little
> bars on the phone display -- a combination of strength and error rate

I've seen terrible coverage from all the major carriers.  In Manhattan
(!), both AT&T and BA have dead spots.  Neither of them covers the
entire trip along 95 from Boston to NY, even though it's one of the
most well-travelled routes in the country.  In some cases, the problem
is not technological, but political -- i.e., lack of roaming
agreements.  With their dual digital/analogue plans, sometimes there's
an an analogue cell nearby, but because of a lack of a roaming
agreeement, the phone picks up on a digital signal that too weak to
use. Other times, though, there's just no coverage at all.

I think it's a major problem that we have so many companies working to
install towers in the same places, with no one working to install
towers where we really need them.  This is the problem with
"competition."  What will happen is that we'll have our choice of a
dozen different carriers, none of which will cover the entire US.  In
other countries, they have but one (or maybe two) carriers, but the
whole country is covered.

-Joel

Post by Tony Pellicc » Mon, 27 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>>> [Sprint's] big problem is poor coverage.  It takes a huge number of
>>> cell sites to provide coverage in a band that's basically line of
>> Your story makes it sound so bad as to make me wonder if you have the
>> cause right. Are you really talking about signal quality (the little
>> bars on the phone display -- a combination of strength and error rate
> I've seen terrible coverage from all the major carriers.  In Manhattan
> (!), both AT&T and BA have dead spots.  Neither of them covers the
> entire trip along 95 from Boston to NY, even though it's one of the
> most well-travelled routes in the country.  In some cases, the problem
> is not technological, but political -- i.e., lack of roaming
> agreements.  With their dual digital/analogue plans, sometimes there's
> an an analogue cell nearby, but because of a lack of a roaming
> agreeement, the phone picks up on a digital signal that too weak to
> use. Other times, though, there's just no coverage at all.

I generally travel I-95 from Manchester, NH to Waterford, CT and never
lose coverage on my Omnipoint phone. Now if we could only eliminate the
regular denials of service I'd be happy.

== Tony Pelliccio, KD1S formerly KD1NR
== Trustee WE1RD

1. Sprint Coverage (was Re: Sprint PCS Fraud)

Your story makes it sound so bad as to make me wonder if you have the
cause right. Are you really talking about signal quality (the little
bars on the phone display -- a combination of strength and error rate
on the phones I'm familiar with)? Or is the problem system capacity?
No coverage in the middle of Si Valley doesn't, on the face of it,
sound like something any halfway self-respecting provider could be
dumb enough to tolerate. A full-up system in those same areas would
seem the more likely explanation.

 ... one would hope that some consciencious Sprint defense-person will
rise to the occasion here & provide an authoritative
explanation/excuse!

My experience, BTW, with Sprint coverage in Manhattan (daughter's
phone) has been rather good -- no complaints -- but then again I am
rather favorably inclined toward the technology.

   -- Best
   -- Arthur

2. Drop down lists as hyperlinks

3. Cellular telephone coverage enhancement?

4. Intro/TOC/Justification comp.parallel (2/28) FAQ

5. RF Design Software (Propagation/Coverage) for PCS/Cellular Networks?

6. lineDrop doesn't make line IDLE

7. Map of Cellular Coverage?

8. Building F2C lib with djgpp v2

9. Florida's Cellular/Pager Coverage

10. Televised Weather Coverage Using Cellular Phone

11. New Cellular Coverage Map

12. Cellular Coverage in Afghanistan Improving