Scam or Wrong Number?

Post by Doug Faunt N6TQ » Sun, 27 Jul 2003 07:37:22

In the small hours, over the course of a couple of weeks, I've gotten
two SMS messages addressed to "js0n" "from: +14168255196".  This is a
Ontario number, apparently.  Is this some sort of scam, to get me to
call or send a message to this number, or is it likely to be a real
wrong number?

The latest message: "watz up js0n?lds is gLaiz ... how r u doin there in
L.A?!tke ker aLwyz ..."  The first one was, as near as I can recall,
exactly the same.

I don't even know what that second phrase is supposed to mean.

Any ideas?

73, doug

Scam or Wrong Number?

Post by Ed Clark » Mon, 28 Jul 2003 12:01:05

> In the small hours, over the course of a couple of weeks, I've gotten
> two SMS messages addressed to "js0n" "from: +14168255196".  This is a
> Ontario number, apparently.  Is this some sort of scam, to get me to
> call or send a message to this number, or is it likely to be a real
> wrong number?
> The latest message: "watz up js0n?lds is gLaiz ... how r u doin there in
> L.A?!tke ker aLwyz ..."  The first one was, as near as I can recall,
> exactly the same.
> I don't even know what that second phrase is supposed to mean.

My dumbonics to English translator gives: "What's up, Jason?  How
are you doing there in Los Angeles?  Take care always ..."

1. Pager Scam - or Wrong Number?

Very few people have my direct beeper number; it mainly serves as a
conduit for my answering machine to notify me of new messages.  So
normally I don't answer pages which display unknown numbers.

A few months back my pager number was forcibly changed from the 718 to
the 917 (pager and cellphone) exchange here in NYC.

Since then, an intermittent series on unknown numbers has appeared on my
pager, all bearing a similar pattern.

        1. Usually Friday or Saturday evenings (sometimes noon on a
                weekday).
        2. Two identical messages 5 minutes apart.
        3. No area code, just a 7-digit number.

The numbers received seem to rotate through 3 or so of them (I started
writing them down).

With talk recently of pager scams involving people making unexpected
toll calls when answering pages, I've been wary. But I'm getting
curious.  Ideas? I'm trying to resist dialing 917-xxx-xxxx to see if I
can find out.

2. Interested in a book on WDM 2.0

3. WTB: Indigo R4000

4. Scams, Scams and More Scams

5. MCP CD holder for Passing VFP Certification Exams

6. Great Wrong Number (was Misdialed Numbers)

7. Persistent Wrong Number Bozos, Unlisted Numbers, Collect Calls

8. 'Easy' Numbers, Teleslime, Wrong Numbers, etc.