Verizon confirms unlimited iPhone data plans no longer offered come Thursday [telecom]

Post by Monty Solomo » Thu, 07 Jul 2011 12:19:55

Verizon confirms unlimited iPhone data plans no longer offered come Thursday

By Neil Hughes

Starting Thursday, new smartphone customers with Verizon Wireless,
including those who buy an iPhone, will no longer be able to purchase
the carrier's unlimited data plan, AppleInsider has confirmed.

This Thursday, July 7, is when Verizon will begin offering its
"usage-based" billing for mobile customers, spokeswoman Debra Lewis
said. The change will not affect current smartphone customers of
Verizon.

In addition, current smartphone customers who are upgrade-eligible
will be allowed to move to another smartphone and retain their plan.
But new customers or current customers who do not have a smartphone
plan will only be able to buy a "usage-based" plan, Lewis told
AppleInsider on Tuesday.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/07/05/verizon_confirms_unlimi...

Post by Sam Spad » Fri, 08 Jul 2011 10:31:34

> Verizon confirms unlimited iPhone data plans no longer offered come Thursday

> By Neil Hughes

> Starting Thursday, new smartphone customers with Verizon Wireless,
> including those who buy an iPhone, will no longer be able to purchase
> the carrier's unlimited data plan, AppleInsider has confirmed.

> This Thursday, July 7, is when Verizon will begin offering its
> "usage-based" billing for mobile customers, spokeswoman Debra Lewis
> said. The change will not affect current smartphone customers of
> Verizon.

> In addition, current smartphone customers who are upgrade-eligible
> will be allowed to move to another smartphone and retain their plan.
> But new customers or current customers who do not have a smartphone
> plan will only be able to buy a "usage-based" plan, Lewis told
> AppleInsider on Tuesday.

> http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/07/05/verizon_confirms_unlimi...

Proves once again, how fragile the wireless data system is.

Post by John Mayso » Sat, 09 Jul 2011 03:52:26

> Proves once again, how fragile the wireless data system is.

I don't know if this is related.

I'm with AT&T Mobility and was always puzzled by the AT&T hate.  I've
always had great speeds, good call quality, and no dropped calls.
I've recently visited New England and the Atlanta areas with my phone
and it was HORRIBLE.  I had EDGE speed most of the time and missed
calls (they just never came through).  The sort of issues I've had
with other providers in the Austin area.

I'm still confused how I can have so much better service in a
hilly/mountainous country like Malaysia for half the price.  Maybe
fewer people using the bandwidth?  If they can do it, why can't we?

John

--

Austin, Texas, USA