Vonage/Cisco ATA - Incoming Calls

Post by Pierr » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 05:41:40

Consumer Reports (June 2003) says that during one of their test trials
approximately 25% of incoming calls rang busy while calling a
Vonage/Cisco ATA phone, even though the line was available.  On the
second attempt most of the calls went through.

Have you heard this before ?  Was it due to the DSL/Cable ISP used ?

Pierre

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: We have gone through this before here,
in recent days. What does the magazine mean by 'rang busy'?. That
phrase to me implies the caller hears a 'busy signal'. I have never
heard a 'busy signal' on my Vonage phone. A couple times my incoming
calls were transferred (inappropriatly, I thought) to Voicemail. But
I always later on got the voicemail messages. For my money, I still
think Vonage is a good deal. Anyone who wants to try out Vonage for
a month of free service (the *second month* is the 'free month') can
send me email and ask for an e-coupon. Send me email marked 'not for
pub' and ask for a test drive on Vonage.    PAT]

Vonage/Cisco ATA - Incoming Calls

Post by Pierr » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 22:04:08

Pat,

You would not hear a busy signal on your Vonage line. It would be
the people trying to call you.  And it is real difficult to find out
how many people got a busy signal (and not your voice mail) while
atempting to call you.

Pierre

> phrase to me implies the caller hears a 'busy signal'. I have never
> heard a 'busy signal' on my Vonage phone.

<:">

Quote:> Consumer Reports (June 2003) says that during one of their test trials
> approximately 25% of incoming calls rang busy while calling a
> Vonage/Cisco ATA phone, even though the line was available.  On the
> second attempt most of the calls went through.
> Have you heard this before ?  Was it due to the DSL/Cable ISP used ?
> Pierre
> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: We have gone through this before here,
> in recent days. What does the magazine mean by 'rang busy'?. That
> phrase to me implies the caller hears a 'busy signal'. I have never
> heard a 'busy signal' on my Vonage phone. A couple times my incoming
> calls were transferred (inappropriatly, I thought) to Voicemail. But
> I always later on got the voicemail messages. For my money, I still
> think Vonage is a good deal. Anyone who wants to try out Vonage for
> a month of free service (the *second month* is the 'free month') can
> send me email and ask for an e-coupon. Send me email marked 'not for
> pub' and ask for a test drive on Vonage.    PAT]

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: But I have called *myself, my own
Vonage number* (both of them actually) from independent, non-Vonage
related telephones. For example from *my* cell phone to my Vonage
number; from *my* wired line phone to my Vonage number; from my friend's
cell phone to my Vonage phones. In all those at random tests, where
both the 'calling phone' and the Vonage phone were in my direct visual
and audible supervision (on the same desk, in the same room), *never
once* did I (as the 'caller') ever hear a 'busy signal'. On two
occassions Vonage did not ring, either, for whatever reason! But I did
recieve a message (from myself to myself) in voicemail later on.

See the second above this paragraph. I still gladly give out e-coupons
for a free month of Vonage service if you just ask for one. And as
soon as you register your number for '911 service' then you could get
rid of your landline phone entirely if you wanted to. I don't have any
love lost for Southwestern Bell in case you had not noticed.   PAT]

1. Vonage/Cisco ATA - Incoming Calls

My brother and I both have Vonage and sometimes (10-20%) when we call
each other, the other end only rings once.  BUT it is one continuous
ring until the other side either answers, or it gets transferred to
voicemail.  This happens both when I call him or he calls me.

"Hey, you answered after just one ring."
"It rang a few times."
"No, just once."

Has anybody else experienced this when calling from one Vonage number
to another?

Unless you have DirecTV and Tivo, which "phones home" once a month and
uses the number it's calling from to verify account information,
including physical location.  Vonage doesn't handle this.  Their
website has said the "anticipate a solution shortly" for several
months.

Ted Rathkopf

2. ASP Tables or HTX/IDC

3. Cisco ATA / Vonage - Incoming Calls

4. How to make a server "accessible"

5. Possible to choose direct calling via ATA 186 OR Vonage dialing?

6. AmigaOS4 list of features

7. Apple Airport, Vonage & Cisco ATA 186?

8. Courier 33.6 & Penril 33.6

9. Vonage Users Can Now Activate "FAX" Line on Second ATA Port

10. Router w/ USB connection for use w/ Vonage ATA-186

11. ATA 186 Web Server Enable - Vonage - HOW?

12. Forward Cisco 26xx H323 incoming calls to a remote Cisco ATA186 using SIP