Wi-fi, How to Keep Disk From Fragmenting With Always on Wi-fi

Wi-fi, How to Keep Disk From Fragmenting With Always on Wi-fi

Post by tom willia » Sat, 05 Apr 2003 02:33:35

I have my laptop connected to a home wi-fi network which is 'always on'
connected to cable modem.

Find that my hd is active quite a lot, even while screen is in auto
dark mode, when laptop is not actively being used.

Usually have email and web browser open even while pc is in 'sleep
mode'.

Do I need to close my web browser to keep HD from spinning
occassionally, while machine 'asleep'?

Hate to have to turn machine off to prevent frequent fragmentation.

TIA,

tom

Wi-fi, How to Keep Disk From Fragmenting With Always on Wi-fi

Post by tony.. » Sat, 05 Apr 2003 08:56:15

says:

Quote:> I have my laptop connected to a home wi-fi network which is 'always on'
> connected to cable modem.
> Find that my hd is active quite a lot, even while screen is in auto
> dark mode, when laptop is not actively being used.
> Usually have email and web browser open even while pc is in 'sleep
> mode'.
> Do I need to close my web browser to keep HD from spinning
> occassionally, while machine 'asleep'?
> Hate to have to turn machine off to prevent frequent fragmentation.

It's going to fragment no matter what you do. It's a fact of life with
PC based operating systems.

But that disk activity you see is probably the indexing service running.
You don't mention what o/s you're running but if it's Win 2000 or Win XP
indexing service constantly scans contents of certain folders on the
drive.

Tony

1. Where Hi-Fi Meets Wi-Fi: A Wireless Music System

By ROY FURCHGOTT

The big hurdle to wiring a home stereo system to play music in every
room is the wiring. But today, Yamaha will unveil a server that can
provide music wirelessly to as many as five locations at a distance of
150 feet.

Called MusicCast, the system is essentially a server with an
80-gigabyte hard drive and a built-in CD-R drive, which can load up to
1,000 CD's compressed as MP3's or 120 uncompressed CD's into an
onboard music library. The server can also play music from external
sources like a CD, tape or record player, or a computer connected to
the Internet.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/09/technology/circuits/09yama.html

2. OS/2 Application Developers

3. Wi share Wi-Fi?

4. Fortune 500 - No shortage of Big Macs

5. Multiple Signitures

6. Roaming, on Wi-Fi networks -- makes no sense~?

7. Wi-Fi (i.e. High speed wireless internet connections)

8. Paris-Wide Wireless Internet Hotspot 'Wi-Fi' Pilot Launched

9. Wi-Fi Start Up Vivato Raises $44.5 Million in Funding

10. Wi-Fi Comes To The Office Phone

11. Motorola Takes Wi-Fi to the Living Room