Brooktrout, voltage and Sprint

Post by <nark.. » Sat, 20 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I am having a terrible time getting Sprint to install some DID lines to use
with my BrookTrout tr114 (2 analog lines, 2 DID).
Sprint is claiming that they cannot find cards to go into their channel
banks that do not supply voltage to the line.  If I understand right in DID
the customer provided equipment provides the power.   Sprint has checked
with thier normal suppliers and says that none of them make a card to
support this application.

Brian Narkinsky
.

Post by Jay K. Thom » Sun, 21 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>I am having a terrible time getting Sprint to install some DID lines to use
>with my BrookTrout tr114 (2 analog lines, 2 DID).
>Sprint is claiming that they cannot find cards to go into their channel
>banks that do not supply voltage to the line.

Do they mean their switch or a carrier channel bank? If they are
trying to extend the trunks to you via a carrier channel bank, you
might be able to use an FXO at your end and an FXS at the office end,
though that really isn't exactly right and may not properly convey the
polarity reversal that you will need to generate when answering a
call.

Quote:> If I understand right in DID
>the customer provided equipment provides the power.

Yes, that is correct. With analog DID, the telco switch looks like
(and can be simulated by) an ordinary single-line telephone set.
When "answering" a call (i.e. delivering anything besides Call
Progress tones or an Out of Service announcement) delivered via DID
trunks, you a required to reverse the polarity toward the telco so
that charging (if applicable) can begin.

Quote:> Sprint has checked
>with thier normal suppliers and says that none of them make a card to
>support this application.

Into what particular piece of equipment does the card in question need
to go?

---
Jay Thomas

Brooktrout, voltage and Sprint

Post by <nark.. » Mon, 22 Mar 1999 04:00:00

.

Quote:

>Do they mean their switch or a carrier channel bank? If they are
>trying to extend the trunks to you via a carrier channel bank, you
>might be able to use an FXO at your end and an FXS at the office end,
>though that really isn't exactly right and may not properly convey the
>polarity reversal that you will need to generate when answering a
>call.

From what I understand they are coming from channel carrier banks right into
my site .  The situation described above sounds like what they are doing.
But it is not working.
I can't remember the  name of the carrier bank but Conklin, Excel, Tellelabs
and others make cards to fit into it.  I'll find out the details tommorrow.
The brooktrout card will go i nto a NT server running NetSatisfaxtion.
Sorry for my ignorance as I am inexperienced in this area.  Thanks for yor
time.
Brian