It Ain't Like it Used to Be

Post by Stan.Schwart » Tue, 25 Jun 1996 04:00:00

In TD #299, Mark J. Cuccia discussed his problem reaching a long
distance number that was apparently out of order, and wondered why it
didn't warrant an intercept message.  May I relate my own story (which
includes an answer):

My parents live in a ranch house in a late-50's era Levitt-style
development in NYNEX/NY land.  About once a year, some too-tall truck
will drive past the house and forcibly disconnect their phones from
the rest of the world. I was i n the house (with my cell phone) when
this happened last year, and I got on the phone with NYNEX repair.
The tech told me that a repair would take a week.  I was willing to
lend them my cell phone, and I asked if NYNEX could put an intercept
on the line so that calls to the house don't get an endless
"ring-no-answer".  The tech told me that they didn't like to do that,
because that took two trouble tickets (one to place the order, and one
to remove the intercept), and many times the intercepts don't get
removed correctly.

The tech then said, "Let me ask you - do you have very young children
in the house?".  I said, "No."  He said, "Let me ask you again, do you
have small children in the house?"  Seeing where he was going with
this, I said, "No, but there are two senior citizens in the house."
He said, "OK, that's what I needed to hear."  The repair truck was at
the house later that afternoon.

A postscript to that story is that two months later, another truck
tore the drop down.  NYNEX says they can't hang it any higher.

1. It`s a bug ?

On NT4.0srv  after insalation IntraNetWare Client i do:

net time \\krok, where \\krok - Nw4.1 server

and i have error 83.

After uninstall IntraNetWare Client an installing MS GateWay for Netware
all work fine. What can i do?
 I need starting on Nt4.0 command
NET TIME \\NWSERVER every 15 min.
 And i need use IntraNetWare Client

Sergey

2. OT : Engineering data on humans

3. DLC question or where it′s dlcapi.dll

4. ZyXEL Voice Progs Found!

5. Need a CD burner that will last..

6. Telocity Ain't Bad - at least where I am - Here's my experience

7. WANTED: Cisco Catalyst 2924 Switch

8. "It Ain't Like it Used to Be"

9. So, ZyXEL's new modems are delayed, and it ain't the software...

10. Net Speed Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet

11. Am I stuck with Microsoft's TCP/IP stack when using Win95/98/NT?