Where Hi-Fi Meets Wi-Fi: A Wireless Music System

Where Hi-Fi Meets Wi-Fi: A Wireless Music System

Post by Monty Solomo » Tue, 14 Jan 2003 04:53:22

By ROY FURCHGOTT

The big hurdle to wiring a home stereo system to play music in every
room is the wiring. But today, Yamaha will unveil a server that can
provide music wirelessly to as many as five locations at a distance of
150 feet.

Called MusicCast, the system is essentially a server with an
80-gigabyte hard drive and a built-in CD-R drive, which can load up to
1,000 CD's compressed as MP3's or 120 uncompressed CD's into an
onboard music library. The server can also play music from external
sources like a CD, tape or record player, or a computer connected to
the Internet.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/09/technology/circuits/09yama.html

1. Wi-fi, How to Keep Disk From Fragmenting With Always on Wi-fi

I have my laptop connected to a home wi-fi network which is 'always on'
connected to cable modem.

Find that my hd is active quite a lot, even while screen is in auto
dark mode, when laptop is not actively being used.

Usually have email and web browser open even while pc is in 'sleep
mode'.

Do I need to close my web browser to keep HD from spinning
occassionally, while machine 'asleep'?

Hate to have to turn machine off to prevent frequent fragmentation.

TIA,

tom

2. Previleges Issue

3. Wi-Fi (i.e. High speed wireless internet connections)

4. WPS instability - what caused it

5. Paris-Wide Wireless Internet Hotspot 'Wi-Fi' Pilot Launched

6. Installation procedures

7. AT&T Wireless to Offer Wi-Fi Service at Airports and Hotels

8. FS==HP320LX===$490.00=======

9. AT&T Wireless to Provide Wi-Fi in Hotels, Airports

10. Wi-Fi (i.e. High speed wireless internet connections)

11. Wi share Wi-Fi?

12. Roaming, on Wi-Fi networks -- makes no sense~?