"Underground" demarc? [telecom]

Post by Lisa or Jef » Fri, 08 Jul 2011 07:09:52

Quote:> >In my (limited) experience, even if there's no official demarc,
> >there's invariably a lightning protection block, with four or more
> >screw terminals, cylindrical fuses, and a ground wire.

> That block is, for all legal purposes, the demarc. You own the wiring
> after it, they own the wiring before it.

Ok, but how does it work if above "block" handles a group of dwelling
units (as does the unit where I live)?  I don't think it would be a
good idea for individuals to be fooling around in a junction box that
serves multiple customers.

"Underground" demarc? [telecom]

Post by John Levin » Fri, 08 Jul 2011 23:52:28

Quote:>Look for the electric service meter and power main disconnect.

>The teleco demarc should be close to it, (for grounding/bonding
>purposes).

Often, but not always.  On our house the meters (day/night) are on the
front, the phone is on the side with its own ground spike, and the main
breaker is in the ba*t, but there's no phone wire down there.

Admittedly, both phone and power were retrofitted in this house
probably 50 years after it was built, and in new construction it's
more typical for it all to be together.

R's,
John

"Underground" demarc? [telecom]

Post by John C. Fowle » Sat, 09 Jul 2011 00:01:58

Quote:> Ok, but how does it work if above "block" handles a group of dwelling
> units (as does the unit where I live)?  I don't think it would be a
> good idea for individuals to be fooling around in a junction box that
> serves multiple customers.

We're talking about the law, not what is or is not a good idea.  :-)

The demarc is just where "Telephone Company" responsibility ends and
"someone else owns this" begins.  If you're in an apartment complex,
the complex is responsible from that point (and getting something
fixed from the demarc to your jack depends on how nice the apartment
complex is).  If it's a condo, then the association is probably
responsible.

I once lived in an apartment that gave all of its tenants keys to the
closet containing the main punchdown block for the whole facility, so
that anyone could let the phone company in for maintenance.  Of
course, that also meant anyone could go in and mess up someone else's
wiring, or make outgoing calls on someone else's line, etc.  Needless
to say, I got 900-number call blocking while living there.  There
weren't any real problems, though, just theoretical ones.

--

Post by Doug McIntyr » Sat, 09 Jul 2011 00:27:20

>> >In my (limited) experience, even if there's no official demarc,
>> >there's invariably a lightning protection block, with four or more
>> >screw terminals, cylindrical fuses, and a ground wire.

>> That block is, for all legal purposes, the demarc. ?You own the wiring
>> after it, they own the wiring before it.
>Ok, but how does it work if above "block" handles a group of dwelling
>units (as does the unit where I live)?  I don't think it would be a
>good idea for individuals to be fooling around in a junction box that
>serves multiple customers.

Its totally up to the building owner how they deal with it. In most of
the bigger apartment buildings I've done work in, the telco will be in
(usually, sometimes forgotten to be) locked closets along with the
cable TV plant. Sometimes with some pretty beefy locks (ie. Medeco,
that I had to leave behind my drivers license to get the key from the
building people).

Smaller/older buildings may just have it somewhere in the ba*t, or
an outside NI box* out somewhere, maybe locked, probably not.

Its more of a matter of people don't usually mess with it because they
have no idea what they are looking at other than a bunch of wires
behind a door/inside a can/behind that panel, not even realizing they
could do a bunch of messing up people by messing with all the wires.
Plus the ones that could really mess with it and have punch down
tools, test sets, etc. could do the same sort of problem from
many places, not just one specific NI box somewhere.

Post by Robert Bono » Sat, 09 Jul 2011 08:18:04

>On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 10:59:42 -0700 (PDT), grumpy44134

>>My friend is having an intermittent problem with her home phone.  I
>>told her to find the gray demarc/Telephone Network Interface (Ohio)
>>box. After not being able to find it, she reminded me her power and
>>telephone wires were underground to her house.  Question - where is
>>the demarc for underground telephone service (in Ohio)?

>Look for the electric service meter and power main disconnect.

>The teleco demarc should be close to it, (for grounding/bonding
>purposes).

*snicker*

Where I grew up, they were on *opposite*sides* of the house.  Not to
mention that the power came in overhead, and the phone was underground.

Post by Scott Dors » Fri, 08 Jul 2011 23:12:57

>> >In my (limited) experience, even if there's no official demarc,
>> >there's invariably a lightning protection block, with four or more
>> >screw terminals, cylindrical fuses, and a ground wire.

>> That block is, for all legal purposes, the demarc. ?You own the wiring
>> after it, they own the wiring before it.

>Ok, but how does it work if above "block" handles a group of dwelling
>units (as does the unit where I live)?  I don't think it would be a
>good idea for individuals to be fooling around in a junction box that
>serves multiple customers.

That's how it works.  And no, it's maybe not a good idea for individuals
to be fooling around in there, especially since that box may contain
multiplied pairs from other buildings as well.  But that's how it works.
--scott

Post by Joseph Singe » Wed, 06 Jul 2011 05:12:51

<<My friend is having an intermittent problem with her home phone.  I
told her to find the gray demarc/Telephone Network Interface (Ohio)
box. After not being able to find it, she reminded me her power and
telephone wires were underground to her house.  Question - where is
the demarc for underground telephone service (in Ohio)?>>

I would think wherever the telephone service entered the building.  If there's no obvious place where the service is distributed in the building it may start at one of the jacks.  Many times if there's a jack in the kitchen all other jacks will feed from that jack.  There has to be a distribution point somewhere in the house whether it's a terminal in a utility room or where the cable comes into the house if you have a ba*t or through a spot in a utility room or even through a garage.  If the house was built in the mid to late seventies there should be a telco provided NIC where the subscriber can have their own wiring done and where you can test the line by plugging in your regular phone to see if the line is OK.