Telephone gizmo for one-line customers

Post by Jerry Glomph Bla » Sun, 02 Dec 1990 16:51:00

I just read a short review in PC Week about a  $400  gizmo  which
answers your phone, then issues a robot-voice announcement to the
caller requesting that the (hopefully touch-tone-equipped) person
press  the '3' button. The caller is then connected to your voice
phone, which rings as usual.  If '3' is not  pressed,  the  gizmo
box  assumes  that  a  fax  or  modem  is  calling, and your data
equipment receives the incoming call.  Seems like a good  way  to
get double use of one line.

The $400 seems overpriced for what  you  get,  my  $50  answering
machine  can recognize tones and make decisions accordingly.  Are
there seminal components or subsystems you can get to put one  of
these together?? Any other comments on this kind of equipment?

Post by sole » Tue, 02 Jan 1990 23:48:00

: I just read a short review in PC Week about a  $400  gizmo  which
: answers your phone, then issues a robot-voice announcement to the
: caller requesting that the (hopefully touch-tone-equipped) person
: press  the '3' button. The caller is then connected to your voice
: phone, which rings as usual.  If '3' is not  pressed,  the  gizmo
: box  assumes  that  a  fax  or  modem  is  calling, and your data
: equipment receives the incoming call.  Seems like a good  way  to
: get double use of one line.
:
: The $400 seems overpriced for what  you  get

I think what you were reading about is a product called Watson, in
addition to doing what you say it also is a modem and comes with
voicemail software for the PC (a little rudimentary, but workable)
considering this the price is quite reasonable.

--
Norman Soley - Data Communications Analyst - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
UUCP:   uunet!attcan!lsuc!ncrcan!ontenv!soley   VOICE:  +1 416 323 2623

  " Stay smart, go cool, be happy, it's the only way to get what you want"

1. Telephone gizmo for one-line customers

-- Is there a way to differentiate between FAX and regular modem-logins?
   I understand that there are el-cheapo FAX programs that, using your
   modem, act as a document-based fax machine.  These programs are much
   cheaper, on the order of $50-$100.

   What I would like to be able to do is have the computer pick up
   the phone and run either the FAX program if this is a fax call or
   go ahead and run a login to Unix.  I can also for see DOS people
   wanting to choose between FAX, UUCP and possibly a third BBS package.
   Am I dreaming or is this at all possible?  I do not have any specs
   on FAX protocol but would be interested if anyone has such data.

       ^In this case, possible even triple or quadruple.  Assuming that
        the other end will give you a carrier long enough to decide between
        human, FAX, UUCP or just a recording from Sears telling you that
        your Christmas order has finally arrived.

--
Dan Chaney

If a 100-year old Roman Catholic offers you | "Life is but a state of mind"
a clever quote, don't take his word at it.  |                   - Ben Rand

2. I got mine USR 4/18 today!

3. I'm looking for LOOPZ...

4. Telephone answering gizmo wanted

5. GCC 2.7

6. Telephone Answering Gizmo Wanted

7. Fortran 95 Information (April)

8. Ah, one really pissed off customer (was U.S. Robotics CUSTOMER SERVICE SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!)

9. Two-Line Adaptor Wanted For One-Line Phone

10. Using more than one Analogue lines as one line

11. Two modems on one telephone line

12. TWO MODEMS ON ONLY ONE TELEPHONE LINE