Need advice on drop-and-insert for PBX and router separated by 4000'

Need advice on drop-and-insert for PBX and router separated by 4000'

Post by Paul Roger » Thu, 14 Sep 1995 04:00:00

We are in the process of connecting to the Internet and would
like to use some excess capacity on our existing T1 lines that
are connected to our PBX.  It's my understanding that this could
be accomplished with a CSU/DSU with drop-and-insert capability.
However, the PBX and the desired location for the Internet termination
point are separated by approximately 4000 feet (1.3 km).

We have multimode fiber as well as a 900 pair (24 gauge) telephone
cable (with no bridge taps, carrying voice and data) available between
the two sites.

One possible solution was found in the Black Box catalog.  They have a
T1 splitter (Order Code MT206A) (2 DSX-1 interfaces and 1 V.35
interface) that can be used in conjunction with a CSU/DSU (Order Code
MT100A-35-R2) which allows a "DSX-1 Long Loop" up to 6000 feet (1.8
km) using shielded twisted pair to be created between the two devices.

Is it essential that shielded pair be used in this application?

Are there other solutions, preferably using fiber, available?

Is there a better place to discuss this type of problem?

Thanks!

Paul L. Rogers

Need advice on drop-and-insert for PBX and router separated by 4000'

Post by CDestef4 » Fri, 15 Sep 1995 04:00:00

The most cost effective method of doing this (since you already have fiber
in place) would be to place the drop and insert at the PBX.  The data
circuit for your Internet connection would be via a V.35 interface. There
are very cost effective tranceivers that would convert the V.35 to fiber
and back at the far end.

I personally would recommend an Adtran TSU-100 for the drop and insert
(very solid product line and expandable).

I am making the following presumption ( and we know what happens when one
ASSumes). The T1 demarc is near the PBX and would stay there.

The V.35 interface will reliably transmit upto the full speed of the T1
(1.544mhz) via a fiber transceiver.

Any other questions please E-Mail back!!

1. Need advice on drop-and-insert for PBX and router separated by 4000'

[...]

2. Listen to your Website

3. WANTED TO BUY---USA---USED PBX-PBX-PBX-PBX-PBX-PBX-PBX

4. windows 2000 display

5. Advice Needed: 20' phone drop to server room

6. looking for CSet++

7. Need Info on Drop & Insert Boxes for T-1 Facilities

8. printing binary files

9. advice needed: do we need a PBX?

10. Need to Upgrade CISCO 4000 - What's next!

11. 4000 router's debug

12. Cisco 4000 router upgrade ??'s

13. need help: to switch from software router on Solaris to Cisco 4000-M