Time stamping tape recorder - does it exist?

Time stamping tape recorder - does it exist?

Post by Gordon Mitche » Wed, 09 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I am looking for a recorder that records time and date on one channel while
recording other stuff on the other channel.

Perhaps something that would work as well is a small voice synthesizing module
that does the time/date voice.  This could then be wired into one channel of
the recorder.

Post by Evan Ro » Fri, 11 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>I am looking for a recorder that records time and date on one channel while
>recording other stuff on the other channel.
>Perhaps something that would work as well is a small voice synthesizing module
>that does the time/date voice.  This could then be wired into one channel of
>the recorder.

Gordon, I know they exist, as I use to to work for a police
department, and they had a voice activated recorder that turned on and
time stamped the tape with an STMP time code whenever the VHF radio
was used.  It actually supported 8 channels + time, since they used
multiple frequencies.

Unfortunately, I don't know who makes or sells them...

Flashpoint Database Consulting Ltd. | Toronto, ON  M5R 1J6
+1-416-920-6926                     | Fax +1-416-920-6936

Post by Gabe Wien » Mon, 14 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>I am looking for a recorder that records time and date on one channel while
>recording other stuff on the other channel.

Yes, they exist, but I don't know if they exist in small versions. :-)

They are used primarily by police departments, banks, financial
trading groups, etc. to log telephone calls.  They normally use 1"
reel-to-reel tape, and have as many as 64 recording tracks.  They keep
a running timecode display on the front panel which is continuosly
updated as the tape runs, and some of them announce the time at the
end of each telephone call.

These are made by companies such as Magnasync, Racal, Dictaphone, etc.

There is no standard format for these things.  Each make does the
control track differently.  Anytime we're hired to do forensic work
on one of these tapes, they have to send us the machine as well.

--
Gabe Wiener  Dir., Quintessential Sound, Inc. |"I am terrified at the thought
Recording-Mastering-Restoration (212)586-4200 | that so much hideous and bad

Time stamping tape recorder - does it exist?

Post by Brian Kant » Mon, 14 Aug 1995 04:00:00

The simplest of these I've seen was just a stereo tape recorder with
solenoid operation so it could sit idle without damage, yet start
instantly.  Channel one was bridged across the phone line with an
off-hook relay that rolled tape whenever the phone went off-hook.
There was a feeper that put the required beeps on the line.

Channel two recorded the time of day announcement from the phone
company - which continously came over a leased line.

Simple and straightforward, and quite adequate for the little hick-town
sheriff's department it was in.  I think their comm tech built it.

Tape was 10" reels that ran at 1-7/8 ips, so they easily held a
day's phone traffic for that department.

I dunno if most Telcos will still supply the time announcements.
Probably it's still in the tariffs but finding someone in the business
office who understands what you're talking about may be a chore.
        - Brian

Time stamping tape recorder - does it exist?

Post by Mike Har » Tue, 15 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Check J&R Music World.  Sony makes a handheld unit that records time and date
while recording on a microcassette.  I have an earlier model that uses a
standard Phillips cassette.

Mike
--
Michael Harpe, Communications Analyst III          Information Technology

(502) 852-5542 (Voice) (502) 852-1400 (FAX)        Louisville, Ky. 40292
WWW: http://www.louisville.edu/~meharp01

Time stamping tape recorder - does it exist?

Post by John Darrell Kesli » Wed, 16 Aug 1995 04:00:00

For the time signal you could always use shortwave broadcasts from
WWV or CHU.   A fairly inexpensive receiver should be able to receive
an acceptable signal almost anyplace in North America.

Post by Mike Morr » Mon, 21 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>The simplest of these I've seen was just a stereo tape recorder with
>solenoid operation so it could sit idle without damage, yet start
>instantly.  Channel one was bridged across the phone line with an
>off-hook relay that rolled tape whenever the phone went off-hook.
>There was a feeper that put the required beeps on the line.
>Channel two recorded the time of day announcement from the phone
>company - which continously came over a leased line.
>Simple and straightforward, and quite adequate for the little hick-town
>sheriff's department it was in.  I think their comm tech built it.
>Tape was 10" reels that ran at 1-7/8 ips, so they easily held a
>day's phone traffic for that department.
>I dunno if most Telcos will still supply the time announcements.
>Probably it's still in the tariffs but finding someone in the business
>office who understands what you're talking about may be a chore.
>    - Brian

Another way to do this would be to get a WWV or CHU receiver and pipe
it into channel 2.  Radio Shlock used to have one, Ramsey just announced
one.  The main disadvantage is that the announcement is only once a
minute, so a recording that started 25 seconds after the minute, and
ended 55 seconds after the minute wouldn't be time stamped.

--
---

                                  I have others, but this works the best.

1. After time Jump In Future - can not repair Time Stamp

I have 4 servers NW5.1 + SP2a.(1 with Master, All other have  R/W).
 Time jumped to the Future  :(
 After back time i do:  Repair TimeStamps and Declare new epoch,  on
the Server with Master Replic
Do not Help :(...
 This dsrepair.log for Full DS repair.
Please Help me !! How i can back Creation Time, Modification time,
Partition Time, modification timestamps ???

 ERROR: Illegal modification timestamps were found in this replica.
 You may need to run 'Repair Timestamps'
 ID: 2F000599, DN: CN=ps-center.O=center.T=AMI.
 Timestamp: 1-04-2016 10:12:52 pm; rep# = 0002; event = 5227

 ERROR: Illegal modification timestamps were found in this replica.
 You may need to run 'Repair Timestamps'
 ID: BD0006EA, DN: CN=Win95-98 Workstation Package.O=center.T=AMI.
 Timestamp: 1-04-2016 10:12:40 pm; rep# = 0002; event = A0FF

 Total Objects = 1422, UNKNOWN class objects = 0, Total Values = 52631
 Creation time: Replica 0002 is future by 44/09/03 23:31:30
 Modification time: Replica 0002 is future by 14/05/10 16:10:42
 Partition time: Replica 0002 is future by 14/05/10 16:10:42
 EXTERNAL REFERENCES
 Total Objects = 0, UNKNOWN class objects = 0, Total Values = 0
 Total External References in this database = 1, Not backlinked = 0
 INITIAL STATES
 Checking mail directories
 Checking stream syntax files
 Repair process completed, total errors found = 11
 Finish: Tuesday, July 31, 2001 9:02:20 am Local Time
 Total repair time: 0:00:58

2. Alpha chip spec available

3. Store Modulated Data onto tape recorder

4. C# and WMI / SNMP

5. Store RS232 data onto tape recorder

6. New Games

7. Fun with tape recorders

8. xemacs vc sccs y2k error

9. time stamp?

10. Time stamp for packets

11. 803 - shows a "corrupted" time stamp on logs

12. Zmodem Time-date stamp Upload Error

13. Answering Machine With Date/Time Stamp Needed