Fun with tape recorders

Post by someon » Wed, 27 Dec 2000 07:00:31

When I was a li'l bastard, I used to have a reel-to-reel tape
recorder.  This type of recorder had a "monitor" head, located
about an inch or two beyond the main record/playback head.
The purpose of this "monitor" head was to permit the user
to monitor what was being recorded while recording.  If you were
recording a live event, the monitor head would provide you
with a playback of the material about a half-second after
it occurred.

If the two audio paths were linked together, and the levels
were set right, you could get the material to repeat itself
over and over with a slow decay in volume.

Well, this was too good for me to pass up.  I hooked up
the monitor output to the handset's mouthpiece contacts,
and hooked up the recording input to the earpiece terminals.
I would dial the neighbor's phone and then wait until they
answered to press record.

"HELLO?"

 ... HELLO ... Hello ... hello ...... hello ...

"IS ANYONE THERE?"

... IS ANYONE THERE ... Is Anyone There ...  is anyone there ...

"WHO IS THIS?"

... WHO IS THIS ... Who is this ... who is this ...

(COUGH IN BACKGROUND)

... COUGH ... Cough ... cough ...

"I'M CALLING THE POLICE!"

... I'M CALLING THE POLICE ... I'm calling the police ... i'm calling the
police ...

"HELLO?"

 ... HELLO ... Hello ... hello ...... hello ...

They would usually try to hang up, but to no avail since this
was back in the step days, and I could hold their line up
indefinitely.  They would hang up and, after about a minute
or so, pick up the phone again.  Of course, there was no
escape.  They had been ensnared for the amu*t of
my juvenile mind.  Eventually, they would refrain from picking
up the phone for several minutes and I would grow bored and
disconnect, seeking the next victim for my twisted trick.

Fun with tape recorders

Post by Steven Licht » Wed, 27 Dec 2000 12:15:46

<<
They would usually try to hang up, but to no avail since this
was back in the step days, and I could hold their line up
indefinitely.  They would hang up and, after about a minute
or so, pick up the phone again.  Of course, there was no
escape.  They had been ensnared for the amu*t of
my juvenile mind.  Eventually, they would refrain from picking
up the phone for several minutes and I would grow bored and
disconnect, seeking the next victim for my twisted trick.

That was just the reason that timed disconnect and
called party disconnect was installed.

Apple Elite II 909-359-5338. Home of GBBS/LLUCE, support for the
Apple II 24 hours  2400/14.4.  An OggNet Server.

The only good spammer is a dead one, have you hunted one down today?  (c)

1. 3 PIX VPN questions - FUN FUN FUN

Hope these aren't stupid questions, but here goes, some background
first:
I have a PIX 515 6.3(5) at head office; remote sites are 1720's or
1750's running a flavor of 12.1 (due to memory shortage, cannot
upgrade) connected via site to site VPNs to this PIX.  I have 3
questions that I can't seem to sort out. Please help me if you know the
answers:

1.  Can I use BGP with the 1700s over this VPN to my network of routers
that are on the internal network?  Are there any caveats in this
situation?  My Internal routers are connected via
Frame/Wireless/dedicated lines to a 3640 on the internal network, and
are already successfully running BGP?

2.  How can I route traffic from one remote VPN site to another remote
VPN site.  I have added the appropriate subnets to the crypto ACL on
each router, and added entries to the NAT 0 ACL, but still can't route
between VPN subnets. Any idea what else is needed? The VPN remote sites
can all successfully route to the other internal(non VPN) WAN sites.

3.  Currently I have to bounce these VPN remote site users off an
internal proxy in order to allow them to browse the internet.  This is
a problem for me as squid is not passing the credentials to our
Websense server, preventing me from tracking usage of individuals, as
they all appear to be the same user to Websense.  Is there a PIX rule
where traffic can't go back out the same interface it came in on?  I
seem to remember something like this, but can't find the info again.
Is there a workaround to this situation?  Something I'm missing?

thanks
tical

2. SNMP header and libraries

3. Store Modulated Data onto tape recorder

4. Budget Bug?

5. Store RS232 data onto tape recorder

6. SAMBA 1.9.02 and "no files found"

7. Time stamping tape recorder - does it exist?

8. Blocked PDF files when attached to emails

9. What are DUFF tapes??What are BARM tapes

10. Tape to Tape w/DDS

11. Dialler and Recorder

12. Attaching Modem to Cassette Recorder