California Junk Fax Bill

Post by Dell Ellis » Tue, 02 Oct 1990 17:05:00

Quote: Higdon) writes:
> If you support legislation against junk fax, then I would assume that
> our elected representatives are already aware of the problem, their
> fax machines being overrun with unsolicited adverti*ts.
> What I'm trying to say is that either there is a problem or there
> isn't. If there is, you don't need to create a situation with faxing
> campaigns. If there isn't, then those who are so concerned with junk
> fax need to get a life and move on.

What if the problem of junk fax is wide-spread, BUT the 'elected
representatives' just happen to not have the problem???

California Junk Fax Bill

Post by John Higd » Tue, 02 Oct 1990 04:30:00

Quote:asuvax.EAS.ASU.EDU (Dell Ellison) writes:
> What if the problem of junk fax is wide-spread, BUT the 'elected
> representatives' just happen to not have the problem???

 From all evidence presented so far, nobody seems to be having a
problem. Ergo, no problem. At least it's not widespread.

        John Higdon         |   P. O. Box 7648   |   +1 408 723 1395

California Junk Fax Bill

Post by Richard R Grady, » Tue, 02 Oct 1990 18:47:00

(John Higdon) writes:

>asuvax.EAS.ASU.EDU (Dell Ellison) writes:
>> What if the problem of junk fax is wide-spread, BUT the 'elected
>> representatives' just happen to not have the problem???
>From all evidence presented so far, nobody seems to be having a
>problem. Ergo, no problem. At least it's not widespread.

Whenever a law is proposed to ban junk fax, everyone who opposes the
ban informs the elected representatives about his/her opposition, via
an unsolicited fax (How dumb can you get?).  So *only* elected
representatives have a junk fax problem!!!

The above opinions are mine, and not necessarily those of my employer.

California Junk Fax Bill

Post by Tad Co » Tue, 02 Oct 1990 09:18:00

Dell Ellison says "what if the problem of JUNK FAX is widespread"...

Don't forget....I am still looking for a single verifiable first
person account from someone actually victimized by abusive junk fax.
So far all of the stories I have tried to track down have been "friend
of a friend" (FOAF) urban legend type stuff.

All I have found is evidence of the ocassional ad from a fax paper
seller in California.

With all of the legislation concerning this "problem", can't just ONE
victim step forward?

(OOPS....I said "don't forget" above, and realized I may not have
posted this stuff here before...just on alt.fax and various BBS
echoes.  I am trying to determine if the type of abusive junk fax
publicized by the media is for real, or just urban legend).

1. California Junk Fax Bill

        Here's an interesting side note though.  In a recent
newsletter to their subscribers, Compuserve has been touting the ease
of setting up and customizing marketing and advertising strategies
through their fax mailing services and databases.

        Are we just beginning to see the junk fax problem?  If
services like Compuserve start making mass "fax mailings" convenient
(although not exactly cheap) is the real weight of the junk fax
problem just around the corner?  As with anything, as the popularity
of this strategy increases, the cost will, no doubt, come down, as
more services like Compuserve start competing for this advertising
money.  Considering the obscene weight of junk mail in the U.S.  mail
system and the expense of fax supplies, this would seem like a good
problem to prevent before it becomes a problem.

If you wait until operations like Compuserve have a large vested
interest in preserving this annoyance, you'll play h*ll getting rid of
it.  If you try taking away something that a bunch of "Mega-corps"
already abuse, they'll have you right in court protecting their right
to go on abusing it.  It's always easier to prevent it in the first
place than it is to stop it once it's started.

Michael H. Warfield  (The Mad Wizard)   | gatech.edu!galbp!wittsend!mhw

An optimist believes we live in the best of all possible worlds.
A pessimist is sure of it!

2. Saving on toner question

3. keyboard in guis

4. The "Junk Fax" Bill in California

5. Disable Mic of VoiceModem

6. If you've been saving your unsolicited faxes (junk faxes) AND you live in California

7. PPI problems on GSZ

8. Help California pass a "Cut Junk Call' bill

9. Help Pass California "Cut Junk Call" Legislation

10. Bill aims to block wireless junk email

11. Did MS, AOL, Yahoo Block Vote on California Antispam Bill?

12. Bill Would Ban Spam E-Mail in California