Cable and Wireless 800 Service

Post by Douglas Scott Reub » Fri, 16 Nov 1990 16:45:58

Hello again!

I've noticed that Cable and Wireless's programmable 800 service hasn't
been working too well lately.

I've tried reprogramming numerous times, and each time it accepts the
new number, but even hours later won't switch it over.

I've spoken to customer service and to some higher-ups, and they said
there is a general problem in the system, and they were looking into
it.

Has anyone else heard about this or had trouble using it lately?

Also, since I was calling anyhow, I mentioned that I too was
experiencing a problem with an early return of answer supervision. (A
C&W's programmable 800 service noted this as well). They sounded
genuinely concerned, and are looking into that as well. (This is a
problem if one calls the 800 number from a carphone or to a land
number which is forwarded to the 800 number -- billing will start for
such calls BEFORE you hear a busy, a ring, or someone picks up. You
SHOULD only get answer supervision if someone picks up ... right?)

Overall, though, I have been very impressed with their service and
ig*9]pricing, and their staff are exceptional -- I'd put them at
almost the same level as AT&T's, in some cases even better! And the
fact that they are open 24 hours a day, and you can talk to a
technician at 3AM if you need to is an added bonus! Once they get
these (hopefully) temporary problems fixed, Cable and Wireless
800/Programmable is truly a superior 800 service provider!

Doug

1. Cable & Wireless 800 Service (MCI and Telecom*USA, too)

Steve Forrette mentioned that Cable & Wireless provides 800 service
for rates comparable to U.S. Sprint before they jacked up the price
$5/month.  Plus, they optionally provide remote programming of the
forwarding number for your 800 calls.  I checked C&W out when I was
originally looking into the 800 LDCs, and unfortunately, they only
offer it in certain area codes.  Mine is not one of them. :-( I called
them again today and confirmed this is still the case.  (If anyone is
interested, it is 517; Lansing, MI.)

I also called MCI about their "Follow Me 800" service, but the
representatives did not have any information available at this time,
and said "you will be hearing more about it."  I guess we'll see about
that.  I wonder if this too, will be a "shared" 800 number, or if they
will finally assign you your own number.

Finally, our Moderator's 800 carrier, Telecom*USA, has been consumed
by MCI, and will not allow new customers to add 800 service at the
incredible monthly rate of only $2.75/month.  They direct all your
calls to MCI, where they try to sell you MCI Personal (Shared) 800
with the infamous "personal security code".  I guess Pat is just lucky
he jumped on the bandwagon when he did! :-)

So the search continues for an 800 LDC besides U.S. Sprint.  Any more
suggestions?

I'll keep everyone posted.

[Moderator's Note: Except that *existing* customers of Telecom*USA at
the time of the MCI merger are still being serviced through
Telecom*USA customer service, and they still let us add/delete or
change around our 800 numbers as desired for $2.75 each.   PAT]

2. wanted: tester for improved FIFO: l:fifo-handler

3. Cable & Wireless 800 Service

4. Proaudio Spectum Basic sound quality

5. Cable & Wireless 800 Service (MCI and Telecom*USA, too)

6. Alphabetical Sort?

7. Cable & Wireless 800 Service

8. SAMBA digest 733

9. More on Cable & Wireless 800 Service

10. C & W 800 Service vs. Sprint 800 Service

11. Pin 800 Numbers (was Re: MCI One Breaks its 800 Number Service)

12. Update on $1 Charge to Call 800-555-Tell From Verizon Wireless

13. Update on $1 Charge to Call 800-555-Tell From Verizon Wireless Phone