Apple: There's no "a" in Wi-Fi

Post by Monty Solomo » Fri, 10 Jan 2003 14:46:20

By Ben Charny
Staff Writer, CNET News.com
January 8, 2003, 1:51 PM PT

Apple Computer joined a growing band of companies giving the cold
shoulder to 802.11a, marking another setback for the wireless
standard designed to replace 802.11b as the * way to create
home and office wireless networks.

The Mac maker has no plans to make wireless networking equipment
using the 802.11a standard, Greg Joswiak, Apple's vice president of
worldwide hardware product marketing, said Wednesday. Instead, it
plans to add 802.11g technology into the next generation of its
laptops, he said.

http://www.veryComputer.com/

1. Wi-fi, How to Keep Disk From Fragmenting With Always on Wi-fi

I have my laptop connected to a home wi-fi network which is 'always on'
connected to cable modem.

Find that my hd is active quite a lot, even while screen is in auto
dark mode, when laptop is not actively being used.

Usually have email and web browser open even while pc is in 'sleep
mode'.

Do I need to close my web browser to keep HD from spinning
occassionally, while machine 'asleep'?

Hate to have to turn machine off to prevent frequent fragmentation.

TIA,

tom

2. Apple II vendors

3. Review: "The Book of Wi-Fi"

4. Monitor Cable Needed

5. Book Review: "The Book of Wi-Fi", John Ross

6. Searching for RAM for IBM thinkpad 360

7. Where Hi-Fi Meets Wi-Fi: A Wireless Music System

8. HD-Driver problems

9. Paris-Wide Wireless Internet Hotspot 'Wi-Fi' Pilot Launched

10. Wi-Fi 'Hot Spots' Allow Laptop, PDA User to be Covertly Tracked

11. 'Wi-Fi' Gives Cell Carriers Static

12. Wi-Fi's Broken Promise

13. Wi share Wi-Fi?