Help!, need telephone rign boost for USR Sportster 128k ISDN

Help!, need telephone rign boost for USR Sportster 128k ISDN

Post by Tom Sayle » Thu, 04 Sep 1997 04:00:00

 I've got a US Robotics Sportster 128k ISDN terminal adapter with the
external ring generator.  The ISDN side works fine. (64kbps is so nice.)
However the external ring generator doesn't seem to generate enough "ring"
(voltage? current?) to trigger my analog (POTS) answering machine when it's
the only thing hooked up. Let alone when anything else is also hooked up.

I desperately need to find / build something to get my answering machine
working.  Does any body know of a product, kit, book, Elmer, something that
I could use to solve this problem?

Thanks for any info.

        Tom Sayles
        KE4HET

Equipment specs:

ISDN TA
        USR Sportster 128k
        "U" interface
        http://www.usr.com/home/isdnspec.html
        RJ-11 type connector
            pin 3    ring
            pin 4    tip
        Analog Phone Interface
            AC impedance    600 ohms 20%
            DC source resistance    600 ohms 5%
            Loop current    35mA max
            Loop voltage    25Vdc max

Answering Machine
        DuoFone TAD-345
            model no:    43-7008
            ringer equivalence     0.8B

External Ring Generator
        small black box
        2 foot long six conductor cord w/ RJ-11 plug
        four conductor RJ-11 jack
        no documentation or specifications other than
                plug into Analog Phone Interface of USR Sportster 128k and
                plug phone into External Ring Generator

Help!, need telephone rign boost for USR Sportster 128k ISDN

Post by Chris Fea » Thu, 04 Sep 1997 04:00:00

have you tried a different ans. mach.?  might be easier/cheaper than boosting
the voltage
--

Family Optometry Center         Santa Rosa, CA
(707) 571-2020                  FAX (707) 526-7063

Help!, need telephone rign boost for USR Sportster 128k ISDN

Post by Chris Arn » Tue, 09 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Target Distributing has a Viking Ring Booster that is supposed to to
boost the ring by 10 REN.

I recall it's about $130. Never used one...

www.targetd.com

Chris

Quote:> I've got a US Robotics Sportster 128k ISDN terminal adapter with the
>external ring generator.  The ISDN side works fine. (64kbps is so nice.)
>However the external ring generator doesn't seem to generate enough "ring"
>(voltage? current?) to trigger my analog (POTS) answering machine when it's
>the only thing hooked up. Let alone when anything else is also hooked up.

>I desperately need to find / build something to get my answering machine
>working.  Does any body know of a product, kit, book, Elmer, something that
>I could use to solve this problem?

>Thanks for any info.

>        Tom Sayles
>        KE4HET

>Equipment specs:

>ISDN TA
>        USR Sportster 128k
>        "U" interface
>        http://www.usr.com/home/isdnspec.html
>        RJ-11 type connector
>            pin 3    ring
>            pin 4    tip
>        Analog Phone Interface
>            AC impedance    600 ohms 20%
>            DC source resistance    600 ohms 5%
>            Loop current    35mA max
>            Loop voltage    25Vdc max

>Answering Machine
>        DuoFone TAD-345
>            model no:    43-7008
>            ringer equivalence     0.8B

>External Ring Generator
>        small black box
>        2 foot long six conductor cord w/ RJ-11 plug
>        four conductor RJ-11 jack
>        no documentation or specifications other than
>                plug into Analog Phone Interface of USR Sportster 128k and
>                plug phone into External Ring Generator

Help!, need telephone rign boost for USR Sportster 128k ISDN

Post by Tom Sayle » Wed, 24 Sep 1997 04:00:00

 I stumbled upon the solution.  The external ring adapter requires that the
USR Sportster 128k ISDN's ring pattern be set to "EXT".  As the drivers were
rewritten after I bought the adapter, this was not documented very well if
at all. (I didn't actually go back and check the documentation after I found
the setting.)

Now the external ring adapter triggers my phone (0.9B), my Answering Machine
(0.8B), and I think my modem too 0.4 or 0.5B),

Thanks to all those who replied!

> I've got a US Robotics Sportster 128k ISDN terminal adapter with the
>external ring generator.  The ISDN side works fine. (64kbps is so nice.)
>However the external ring generator doesn't seem to generate enough "ring"
>(voltage? current?) to trigger my analog (POTS) answering machine when it's
>the only thing hooked up. Let alone when anything else is also hooked up.

>I desperately need to find / build something to get my answering machine
>working.  Does any body know of a product, kit, book, Elmer, something that
>I could use to solve this problem?

1. Help!, need telephone rign boost for USR Sportster 128k ISDN

[...]

2. Last call - New Catalog

3. PC/UNIX ISDN Drivers Vavailable for USR Sportster ISDN 128K

4. MAPI and XP problem

5. FS: USR Sportster ISDN 128K internal modem CHEAP!

6. Microtek V310 and WIN95 Boot Delay

7. FS/A: 3Com/USR Sportster 128K ISDN TA with Ring-Through Adapter

8. Help with login icons

9. USR Sportster ISDN 128k

10. forsale: USR Sportster 128K ISDN TA

11. Wanted: USR Sportster 128k ISDN External Ring Generator

12. FS: USR Sportster 128k ISDN modem $85!