The Jargon File

Post by Andrew C. Gree » Sat, 11 Jun 1994 19:31:58

Our Moderator Notes:

Quote:> And I believe that when you do this, many times you *just think* the
> ANI is not getting passed when in fact the operator bubbles or forces
> it into the network without specifically telling you that is what she
> is doing.

I *think* I know what you mean by bubbling operators (they probably
work at steaming terminals), but you don't come right out and explain
the term anywhere.

I'm sure that this industry, like any other, is absolutely awash in
clever jargon, but I have yet to see a good compilation of it, such as
the little "Buzzwords" feature in {Newsweek} magazine which spotlights
the strange, funny and (usually) behind-the-scenes slang of a
different industry each week.

I'm not referring to terminology that has official meaning but just
looks strange; I'm know that's covered in the Telecom Archives. I'm
thinking of the jargon we use as a polite label for obnoxious truths,
and funny language that just, well, appears one day from nowhere. I
believe we can compile a good list of the bizarre verbal shorthands we
use these days.

441 W. Huron       Chicago, IL  60610-3498