'Wi-Fi' Gives Cell Carriers Static

Post by Monty Solomo » Mon, 02 Dec 2002 15:59:09

Wireless firms' expensive bet looks increasingly risky
By Jesse Drucker and Julia Angwin
THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

Nov. 29 - At first glance, software executive John Baron would seem to
be a cellphone company's dream. He subscribes to the slow Internet
browsing option on his cellphone, painfully pecking away on the dial
pad to type in Web addresses. Lately, though, he has found a better
way: When on the road, he uses Wi-Fi, the technology that gives him
wireless access to the Internet on his laptop computer, at blazing
speeds. "It's brilliant," he says. "The phone stuff is pretty clunky."

ONCE VIEWED as little more than a toy for tech hobbyists, Wi-Fi -
short for wireless fidelity - is starting to emerge as a serious force
in the Internet business. Chip maker Intel Corp. is integrating it
into new microprocessors it's building for laptop computers. Philips
Electronics NV is planning to build it into remote controls and stereo
systems. And Dell Computer Corp. is similarly seeding its PCs with
Wi-Fi. Airports, hotels and Starbucks Corp.  outlets are increasingly
awash in Wi-Fi radio signals.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/841222.asp

1. Wi-fi, How to Keep Disk From Fragmenting With Always on Wi-fi

I have my laptop connected to a home wi-fi network which is 'always on'
connected to cable modem.

Find that my hd is active quite a lot, even while screen is in auto
dark mode, when laptop is not actively being used.

Usually have email and web browser open even while pc is in 'sleep
mode'.

Do I need to close my web browser to keep HD from spinning
occassionally, while machine 'asleep'?

Hate to have to turn machine off to prevent frequent fragmentation.

TIA,

tom

2. Video problem.

3. Paris-Wide Wireless Internet Hotspot 'Wi-Fi' Pilot Launched

4. US-TX-Ft Worth Developer Visual C++, Oracle, SQL Server

5. Wi-Fi 'Hot Spots' Allow Laptop, PDA User to be Covertly Tracked

6. 2 types of hard drives

7. Wi-Fi's Broken Promise

8. Unable to use CCW to call .NET assembly

9. Apple: There's no "a" in Wi-Fi

10. Nokia Modem Works With WI-FI, Cell Phone Networks

11. Disconnects on Wi-Fi and Cell Phones

12. Where Hi-Fi Meets Wi-Fi: A Wireless Music System

13. Wi share Wi-Fi?