Tech Titans Launch Wi-Fi Company

Post by Monty Solomo » Sat, 07 Dec 2002 09:04:15

By Richard Shim
Staff Writer, CNET News.com
December 5, 2002, 12:37 PM PT

Intel, IBM and AT&T have officially thrown their combined weight
behind the effort to create a nationwide network of public "hot spots"
that would give people wireless broadband Internet access from just
about anywhere.

As expected, Intel Capital, along with Big Blue, AT&T and investors
Apax Partners and 3i, announced the creation of Cometa
Networks -- formerly known as Project Rainbow -- a new company focused
on deploying hot spots throughout the United States. Hot spots are
public areas where people can access the Internet using products based
on 802.11b, or Wi-Fi, a wireless networking standard with a range of
about 300 feet from a network's access points, or radio transmitters.

http://news.com.com/2100-1033-976225.html

Tech Titans Launch Wi-Fi Company

Post by Tom Bet » Mon, 09 Dec 2002 09:23:16

digest.org:

Quote:> Intel, IBM and AT&T have officially thrown their combined weight
> behind the effort to create a nationwide network of public "hot spots"
> that would give people wireless broadband Internet access from just
> about anywhere.

A day late and a dollar short.

By the time this gets up and running, true 3G (not that "2.5G" crap) will
provide all the bandwidth mobile users will need at reasonable all-you-can-
eat prices.

Post by John Higdo » Tue, 10 Dec 2002 07:07:52

> By the time this gets up and running, true 3G (not that "2.5G" crap) will
> provide all the bandwidth mobile users will need at reasonable all-you-can-
> eat prices.

"All the bandwidth mobile users will need?" I find that rather
presumptuous on its face. As far as "all-you-can-eat" prices are
concerned, when I see the cellular companies EVER offering such a thing,
I'll believe it.

John Higdon     | Email Address Valid | SF:  +1 415 428-COWS
+1 408 264 4115 |     Anytown, USA    | FAX: +1 408 264 4407

1. Wi-fi, How to Keep Disk From Fragmenting With Always on Wi-fi

I have my laptop connected to a home wi-fi network which is 'always on'
connected to cable modem.

Find that my hd is active quite a lot, even while screen is in auto
dark mode, when laptop is not actively being used.

Usually have email and web browser open even while pc is in 'sleep
mode'.

Do I need to close my web browser to keep HD from spinning
occassionally, while machine 'asleep'?

Hate to have to turn machine off to prevent frequent fragmentation.

TIA,

tom

2. Q: login script for Netware 4.1 THRU WFW

3. Paris-Wide Wireless Internet Hotspot 'Wi-Fi' Pilot Launched

4. HP680 Rated superior to Psion 5mx - Direct link and my $0.02

5. Intel Communications Fund Invests in Four Wi-Fi Companies

6. Are Acer CDROMs any good?

7. Cable companies cracking down on Wi-Fi

8. SDRAM Error

9. Where Hi-Fi Meets Wi-Fi: A Wireless Music System

10. Wi share Wi-Fi?

11. Roaming, on Wi-Fi networks -- makes no sense~?

12. Wi-Fi (i.e. High speed wireless internet connections)