AT&T Takes Away My Call Manager

Post by Craig R. Watki » Wed, 04 Nov 1992 23:20:57

Call Manager is a (free) service of AT&T that allows you to touch tone
in an account code (of the form 15xx where you make up xx) where you
would normally dial a calling card number when you place a 0+ call.
Your bill then gets itemized and totaled by account code.

I've been using it at home for years.  This weekend I noticed that it
was only enabled on my primary line; other lines got a message about
it not being available when I entered the account code.  It took a few
days and a bunch of phone calls to get to the right people and get it
turned back on, but that's just a war story and I won't bore you with
the details.

My conclusion is that while AT&T used to have Call Manager enabled on
ALL lines, they recently have started disabling it from lines that
haven't "signed up" for this free service.  I'm guessing that I never
signed up my other lines.  Even though they are all under the same
billing number and I have been using Call Manager on them for years,
and I have been provided with consolodated billing for the lines
together, AT&T saw need to disable them.

Within the last month or two I received a mailing from AT&T that told
me that I had subscribed to Call Manager and if I wanted to
discontinue this free service I should return the enclosed card,
otherwise do nothing.  I wonder if they are thinking about starting to
charge for this service or they have something else up their sleave?

If you think you have Call Manager, you should check.  If you have
problems with Call Manager on your residential lines, call AT&T
Residential Customer Service at 800-222-0300.  It's OK if they
transfer you to a supervisor or to THEIR Special Services Desk, but
don't let them transfer you to the special Call Manager Center
(800-972-1152) because that is for business lines only (on the other
hand, if you are calling about business lines, call THAT number).

HRB Systems, Inc.  +1 814 238-4311

Post by Steve Forret » Mon, 09 Nov 1992 17:19:11

Quote:Watkins) writes:
> Call Manager is a (free) service of AT&T that allows you to touch tone
> in an account code (of the form 15xx where you make up xx) where you
> would normally dial a calling card number when you place a 0+ call.
> Your bill then gets itemized and totaled by account code.

I ran into a similar problem with Call Manager on my secondary lines
as well.

 From what I was able to determine, there is some systematic problem
with multiple lines which are consolidated billed: adding the feature
to the primary line does not automatically pick up secondary lines
(most optional features such as calling plans do this automatically),
and entering individual orders for Call Manager for each secondary
line doesn't work either.  It took me over 30 calls and over a month
to get the problem resolved on my lines.  (After a certain point, it
became sort of a mission to see if I could get through to the right
people at AT&T -- I knew that there must be *someone* who knew what was
going on!)  In the end, they got special instructions to use this
"neat new service" called AT&T Mail to send a message to someone to
add my secondary numbers into the Call Manager database manually.  As
Craig said, don't let them tell you to call the Call Manager office,
as it's only for business service.  Also, Long Lines Repair is of no
help either.

The reason this was done was for fraud control purposes, which mostly
affected businesses.  Since the old default was that it was enabled on
all lines, customers which blocked 1+ but allowed 0+ (such as hotels,
etc.) could get stuck for a 1+ call by clever people who dialed it as
0+ then entered a 15xx format PIN.  To be safe, they now disable it
for everyone except those that specifically request it.  Residence
subscribers can request it over the phone (but you will need to have
special action taken if you have more than one line that's billed
together).  Business customers must fill out and sign a form and send
it back before they will enable it.

As an aside, I got the royal run-around in trying to get this problem
fixed.  Nobody seemed to know what was going on, and the assumption
was always that I just wasn't dialing the calls correctly.  One rep
tried to tell me that since Call Manager is a free feature, that AT&T
didn't place as high a priority on fixing customer problems with it as
they do with other features.  I countered that I used to have a
similar feature with US Sprint which cost me $5/month, but worked when
I wanted it to, and that perhaps another long distance company would
better serve my needs if AT&T didn't feel this feature was a "high
priority."  This changed her tune in a hurry, and suddenly my problem
was quite important to them!  It is unfortunate that things like this
happen, but it would not force me to switch carriers, as I've had
similar problems with Sprint in the past.  In my opinion, all of the
IXC's are going to have the "big company" customer service problems,
so I have to choose based on overall quality of service and price.

Post by Craig R. Watkin » Tue, 10 Nov 1992 18:28:10

Quote:Forrette) writes:
> It took me over 30 calls and over a month to get the problem
> resolved on my lines.

I noticed it on a Saturday and didn't get very far with it on the
weekend (see below) but I did talk to someone on Monday morning that
was very interested in solving the problem.  She escalated the problem
to some problem solving group, but simultaniously put through a "rush
order" for new service on my other lines.  It was working within 24
hours.  She personally called back a few days later to make sure
everything was OK.

Quote:> As Craig said, don't let them tell you to call the Call Manager office,
> as it's only for business service.  Also, Long Lines Repair is of no
> help either.

This was my problem during the weekend.  Repair would refer me to the
Call Manager office which (as a business office, I suppose) is closed
on weekends.  If I knew to call residential service during the
weekend, I might have solved the problem sooner.

One amusing part of weekend was when I dialed 00 to get AT&T.

00:  AT&T....
Me:  Could you give me the number for AT&T Repair?
00:  For Call Manager, sir?
Me:  (a little spooked at this) Uh, um, yes.
     (thinking there might be a major failure) How did you know?
00:  Oh, it's on my screen!

OK -- Now I know they have ANI, but this was rediculous!  After some
more questioning I find out the fact that I HAVE Call Manager was on
her screen and she finally admited that when people with Call Manager
call repair it usually involves a problem with Call Manager!

I should at this point admit that Call Manager is really helpful to me
and it is free and it is working again.  I'm happy.

HRB Systems, Inc.   +1 814 238-4311

1. AT&T Takes Away My Call Manager

In recent literature that I have received from AT&T it seems that the
account code can be from one to four digits long (after the 15).  I
think this has changed since I started using it.

I always hit a # after my account code to speed the call along.

HRB Systems, Inc.   +1 814 238-4311

2. graphical IRC client wanted

3. Cisco Call Manager 3.0 and Call Manager Auto Attendant 2.0

4. Motorola Power 28.8

5. ATA 186 & Call Manager & H.323 Gateway

6. Rendering in bands ??

7. modem not taking AT&V and not taking lowercase Hayes command ?

8. mailing list?

9. ATA 186 & Call Manager & H.323 Gateway

10. AT&T Takes Steps to Protect Against Collect-Calling Fraud From

11. Voicemodem: all modem calls are taken as a fax call?

12. cisco ATA 186 & Call Manager

13. CISCO Call Manager & Ip Phone