Pin 800 Numbers (was Re: MCI One Breaks its 800 Number Service)

Post by Keith Brow » Fri, 15 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: A lot of the carriers are now including
>> a provision in their contract which says you agree that when you give
>> up their service you give up your right to the number as well, or any
>> right to transfer it to a different carrier.    PAT]
> Isn't that FLAGRANTLY illegal?  That should be a nice court case for
> some lawyer who salivates at the mention of "punitive damages"!
> [TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I think it is legal if you agree to it
> as part of a contract. If there was no contract and later on you
> wished to change carriers and keep the number, they would be unable
> to stop you. What I have head is that a lot of people did just that:
> they got a 'good number' from one carrier then carted it off to
> another carrier. The first carrier tried to stop it only to have their
> efforts to 'save their number' thwarted.  So now they specifically
> make it part of their contract; it becomes a matter of contract law
> rather than tariff or FCC regulation, etc.    PAT]

Pat:

This is especially true for anyone thinking of obtaining or currently
has a "pin" 800 number (an 800 number that will only connect after a
certain number of extra digits "pin" have been added).  The reason of
course is that thousands of other customers may have the same 800
number, but with a different "pin".

I had a gal in Texas call me yesterday (an Excel Rep using MCI)
wanting to do just that, until she mentioned that it was a "pin" 800
number.  So she decided to obtain a new 888 number instead.  Pin 800
numbers tend to offer a higher cost per minute than the usual $0.109
to $0.129 (interstate rate) 800/888 service.  800/888 Service has a
lot of features that customers are usually not informed about because
of the additional set-up charges or paperwork that has to be
submitted.

For example; you can block your 800/888 number from certain area codes
or regions (thus eliminating unwanted calls from those areas),
establish time of day routing (800/888 number will ring in to one
phone number, and then ring in to yet another phone number after a
designated time period ie. say after 6:00 pm rings in to a phone
number in another state).

Keith Brown
CallCom International

1. MCI One Breaks its 800 Number Service

800 numbers are portable, so there's no reason to look stupid!

When you seek out another source for your 800 number, tell them you've
already got an 800 number and you want them to service it.  They will
know what to do.

Chances are your best deal will come through signing up for both home
L.D. service and 800 number from the same company.  I had 11.9
interstate w/ 6/sec billing and on my 800 number, 12.9 interstate with
6-second billing, but a 30-second minimum.  NO MONTHLY FEE!  (Unless
my total bill was less than $20 in a month, they slapped a $5 billing
fee on top.)

That was with Unitel in New Jersey, 1-800-UNITEL7

Its MUCH better than you're going to do with the bigger companies.  And
paying them NO FEE for a few years makes me wonder why other companies
charge a fee and get away with it.

And I've had no technical problems ever with this company, 800 number or
long distance.

Mike Wengler
Formerly an agent, but decided to concentrate on my real job.
http://www.he.net/~wengler/VoiceNet

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: A lot of the carriers are now including
a provision in their contract which says you agree that when you give
up their service you give up your right to the number as well, or any
right to transfer it to a different carrier.    PAT]

2. Lost my progress bar in IE...

3. registry question - hardware

4. Keeping an 800 Number (was: Selling an 800 Number)

5. Internet links in e-mail

6. Unwanted 800 calls (was: Question About MCI 800 Number)

7. Printing from DOS

8. Question About MCI Personal 800 Number PINS

9. MCI/Worldcom 800 Number Service

10. 800 Fraud - Misuse of 800 Numbers