Digital Cellular and Encryption / Fraud Prevention

Post by Mfrer » Wed, 29 Mar 1995 04:00:00

> I also have a few questions about digital cellular in general:
> 1) Do people on this forum believe digital cellular will eventually replace
>    analog cellular?  How soon?

The cellular company I work believes that eventually digital will
replace analog but has committed analog service until 2003.  They
believe this because digital will allow more capacity, lower power
consumption (more talk time) eventually better audio and allow a full
range of new features (like CallerID).  They are also looking at the
new PCS market and the possibility of have dualmode phones (i.e.
GSM\TDMA) or having both marketswith one standard capability.

Quote:> 2) Currently, analog cellular phones are often available free with one
>    year service contracts, but digital cellular phones are expensive.  Do
>    people on this forum believe that digital cellular phones will eventually
>    be available near free once the digital conversion is much further along?
>    It appears that digital cellular is being pushed by service providers
>    because they can squeeze three times the number of calls on the same
>    bandwidth and charge only 10%-20% less.

They are presently offering free phones for high usage customers.  For
know it makes sense to off load to digital and free up more space for
the predominately analog market.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Digital Cellular and Encryption / Fraud Prevention

Post by John Diaman » Wed, 29 Mar 1995 07:39:45

How secure is digital cellular with encryption enabled?  I understand
that digital cellular without encryption isn't secure (except that
less people have scanning equipment capable of decoding a digital
signal).

How good is the encryption which will be available with an
encrytion-capable digital cellular phone and encryption enabled by the
cellular carrier?  What sort of encryption algorithm is used and how
are encryption keys handled (programmed once into the phone and known
by the carrier, or regularly updated by some secure password
transmission algorithm?)?

Does digital encryption significantly reduce the threat of cellular
fraud such as cloning?  What about other types of cellular fraud?

Do any of the encryption-capable digital cellular phones indicate to
you whether encryption is enabled for a particular call?  I understand
some of them will tell you when they're operating in digital mode, but
that's not the same thing.

I also have a few questions about digital cellular in general:

1) Do people on this forum believe digital cellular will eventually replace
   analog cellular?  How soon?

2) Currently, analog cellular phones are often available free with one
   year service contracts, but digital cellular phones are expensive.  Do
   people on this forum believe that digital cellular phones will eventually
   be available near free once the digital conversion is much further along?
   It appears that digital cellular is being pushed by service providers
   because they can squeeze three times the number of calls on the same
   bandwidth and charge only 10%-20% less.

Thanks in advance,

John Diamant    Software Engineering Systems Division

Fort Collins, CO