New 'voice over DSL' launch set in Boston

Post by Monty Solomo » Tue, 30 Oct 2001 23:49:53

New 'voice over DSL' launch set in Boston

By Peter J. Howe, 10/29/2001

In the first big commercial deployment of the technology in Boston,
Broadview Networks this week is launching a new ''voice over DSL''
service that uses the same bandwidth-maximizing technology of
broadband digital subscriber lines to squeeze up to 16 telephone
lines from one standard phone connection.

Broadview, a New York-based business phone company, said it is
deploying the technology at 10 switching stations serving parts of
Boston and 13 suburbs: Cambridge, Everett, Framingham, Lynn, Malden,
Medford, Melrose, Newton, Quincy, Swampscott, Winchester, Winthrop,
and Woburn.

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/302/business/New_voice_over_DSL_lau...
--
The Telecom Digest is currently mostly robomoderated. Please mail

1. Boston MSN/Rhythms DSL 'Burst' Service

I just got the MSN/Rhythms RADSL service (7.1mbps, $49.95/mo). My line
trained at the full rate (I'm ~7000 ft. from my CO), but I'm only getting
~320Kbps. This fact may be unrelated to my main question, but maybe not...

I need to know what 'burst service' means. They are using DMT-2 modulation
(Cisco 677 dsl modem, 6130 DSLAM), and burst service is a part of the
implementation. One mildly knowledgeable person said that by doing a large
packet size (~1500 bytes), repetitive ping to a good speed server would
cause the burst service to raise the downstream speed. This may very well be
an artifact, but doesn't explain anything. Help please.

Thank you,
John

2. WIRELESS LAN

3. Sony to Launch 'Charlie's Angels' Game Online

4. ytalk for os/2

5. Access Registrar - writing 'C' plug-ins ?

6. What a Bunch of BULLS__T

7. ICANN's new domains, and new.net's new domains...

8. VB2.0 and WINSOCK.DLL

9. fall Networld+Interop '99 coverage - Jetstream's Voice-Over-DSL demonstrated with stinger DLSAM

10. Setting High Speed w/ 'AT' command set

11. USR/Voice/33.6 '1', User '0'

12. Paris-Wide Wireless Internet Hotspot 'Wi-Fi' Pilot Launched

13. Looking for 'low-voltage' 'non-POTS' telephone sets