Cable & Wireless 800 Service

Post by Steve Forret » Wed, 01 May 1991 12:20:15

With the discussion of Sprint's recent rate increases, I thought I'd
tout the carrier I have, Cable & Wireless.  (No relation, just a happy
customer).  They charge $10/month, plus usage.  six second billing, with
a thirty second minimum per call.  Rates are: day $.19/min, evening
$.16/min, night/weekend $.13/min.  These are mileage insensitive, and
both inter and intra state.  Basic service covers 48 states.  For
$10/month extra, you can get a "programmable" option, which allows you
to change the number your 800 calls are routed to as often as you
wish.  This is the only service of this type that I know of, although
I think MCI recently announced plans to offer such a thing in the
future.  Also, they gave me the number I wanted without any hassle
since it was unassigned.  You can call them at 800/486-8686.

1. Cable & Wireless 800 Service (MCI and Telecom*USA, too)

Steve Forrette mentioned that Cable & Wireless provides 800 service
for rates comparable to U.S. Sprint before they jacked up the price
$5/month.  Plus, they optionally provide remote programming of the
forwarding number for your 800 calls.  I checked C&W out when I was
originally looking into the 800 LDCs, and unfortunately, they only
offer it in certain area codes.  Mine is not one of them. :-( I called
them again today and confirmed this is still the case.  (If anyone is
interested, it is 517; Lansing, MI.)

I also called MCI about their "Follow Me 800" service, but the
representatives did not have any information available at this time,
and said "you will be hearing more about it."  I guess we'll see about
that.  I wonder if this too, will be a "shared" 800 number, or if they
will finally assign you your own number.

Finally, our Moderator's 800 carrier, Telecom*USA, has been consumed
by MCI, and will not allow new customers to add 800 service at the
incredible monthly rate of only $2.75/month.  They direct all your
calls to MCI, where they try to sell you MCI Personal (Shared) 800
with the infamous "personal security code".  I guess Pat is just lucky
he jumped on the bandwagon when he did! :-)

So the search continues for an 800 LDC besides U.S. Sprint.  Any more
suggestions?

I'll keep everyone posted.

[Moderator's Note: Except that *existing* customers of Telecom*USA at
the time of the MCI merger are still being serviced through
Telecom*USA customer service, and they still let us add/delete or
change around our 800 numbers as desired for $2.75 each.   PAT]

2. Osborne System Disk..

3. Cable & Wireless 800 Service

4. ESPN problem and Netscape

5. Cable & Wireless 800 Service (MCI and Telecom*USA, too)

6. Image Load order

7. More on Cable & Wireless 800 Service

8. Sys Freezes!!!

9. C & W 800 Service vs. Sprint 800 Service

10. Cable and Wireless 800 Service

11. Pin 800 Numbers (was Re: MCI One Breaks its 800 Number Service)

12. Cable & Wireless customer service

13. Spamford Getting Service From Cable & Wireless?