Why no Distinctive Ringing? was Re: Anyone Seen Call Transfer

Post by George Mitchel » Sat, 26 Jul 2003 02:17:54

> I've been watching the VoIP scene develop for the past few months and
> one thing I've noticed is that among the "big three" VoIP providers
> (VoicePulse, Packet8, and Vonage), VoicePulse looks to be the clear
> leader in features now, and is even a bit less expensive than
> Vonage.

I'm surprised that none of the three you mention has enabled
distinctive ringing yet.  I know not too many people avail themselves
of this service, but it is almost *ive once you get used to it.
My office is at home, but I do not get enough calls to justify a
separate line.  Knowing who should answer the phone (or how to answer,
when the appropriate person is absent) is VERY convenient.

George Mitchell (obfuscated email addr.)

Post by j.. » Sat, 26 Jul 2003 22:47:11

>> I've been watching the VoIP scene develop for the past few months and
>> one thing I've noticed is that among the "big three" VoIP providers
>> (VoicePulse, Packet8, and Vonage), VoicePulse looks to be the clear
>> leader in features now, and is even a bit less expensive than
>> Vonage.
> I'm surprised that none of the three you mention has enabled
> distinctive ringing yet.  I know not too many people avail themselves
> of this service, but it is almost *ive once you get used to it.
> My office is at home, but I do not get enough calls to justify a
> separate line.  Knowing who should answer the phone (or how to answer,
> when the appropriate person is absent) is VERY convenient.

I think my talking caller id works a lot better than distinctive
ringing.  Plus, if you have a key or pbx system distinctive ringing
won't work at all.