Why Does AT&T Supply ISDN Instead of Local Telco?

Post by Tom Gr » Fri, 30 Nov 1990 01:39:38

Quote:Capek) writes:
> 1) Why is AT&T, rather than my LEC, supplying ISDN service?

ISDN is a set of protocols. Any service provider can use the ISDN
protocols for its service. If ATT has a service that it is legally
able to provide to an individual site, then it can use ISDN protocols
or any other that it sees fit.

ISDN is not a service; it is a means of providing services. Both the
LEC and AT&T (or any other service provider) will provide their
services using ISDN. ISDN is not an end in itself; it is a means
of communicating. It will make new serivces possible but will not
define or (hopefully) limit them.

Why Does AT&T Supply ISDN Instead of Local Telco?

Post by David Feust » Fri, 30 Nov 1990 08:18:22

I've tried to find out about ISDN offerings from GTE of Indiana, but
no one there (that I've talked to) knows what ISDN is.

David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631
EMAIL: netcom.uucp

1. Why Does AT&T Supply ISDN Instead of Local Telco?

I saw somewhere recently a news article that reported a substantial
increase in the rate at which AT&T was filling orders for ISDN service.
This got me to thinking...

1) Why is AT&T, rather than my LEC, supplying ISDN service?  I suppose it
   might make sense for AT&T to supply "long distance" ISDN service, either
   to my LEC, or indirectly to me.  Apparently, I inferred too close a
   similarity between POTS and ISDN.  What's the truth?   Is there something
   about ISDN which makes it fundamentally different from POTS in a
   REGULATORY sense?

2) How does AT&T supply ISDN service?  Do they get the LEC to provide a
   leased line from my premises to one of their 114 #4 ESS'?  Or to some
   other switch which interfaces to their network in some other way?

3) (Unrelated to ISDN...) Why are LEC's called LOCAL exchange carriers?
   Wouldn't it make more sense to call them, for example, LATA exchange
   carriers, since a LATA is the limit of their (possibly multiple) transport
   area?  Similarly, why are IXC's called that?  They don't carry traffic
   between exchanges any more than LEC's do: but they DO generally carry
   traffic between exchanges which are further away from one another than
   the LEC's.

Peter Capek

2. "STOP PLACING A CALL" PROBLEM

3. Can Only see 2 gigs of shared drive

4. Local Telco refuses to allow use of AT&T card?

5. Studio Masterclasses

6. why a router instead of a modem for ISDN

7. terminator final chapter

8. How to create own local ISDN network (without telco)?

9. ISDN and local telco access

10. When do you use DC powered-supplied cabinet instead of AC power-suppied cabinet?

11. Fast Busy instead of Telco Recording

12. Help....Card Modem needs to be continually reinserted for DOS comm program...why oh why ?