Amateur radio as backup communication [telecom]

Amateur radio as backup communication [telecom]

Post by Lisa or Jef » Thu, 07 Jul 2011 05:55:38

Many participants in this newsgroup are interested in ham radio.  An
article in the Phila Inqr talks about current activities, including
providing vital communications when other networks are down.

http://www.philly.com/philly/columnists/monica_yant_kinney/20110703_M...

***** Moderator's Note *****

QRZ W1AC?

Bill Horne
Moderator

Amateur radio as backup communication [telecom]

Post by fatkinson.remove-t.. » Thu, 07 Jul 2011 06:42:30

Quote:> Many participants in this newsgroup are interested in ham radio.  An
> article in the Phila Inqr talks about current activities, including
> providing vital communications when other networks are down.

> http://www.veryComputer.com/

> ***** Moderator's Note *****

> QRZ W1AC?

> Bill Horne
> Moderator

Bill,

      Did you work the 13 Colonies event?  I believe that today is the
last day of it.  Our club (N5BL) worked all thir* colonies and
the William Penn SES (special events station).

      FYI, there are going to be two SESs operating for the final shuttle
launch call signs N4S (Florida near the Cape) and N5S (New Mexico
near White Sands) with the 'S' being for shuttle.

      They are both offering awards (either a QSL card or a certificate
depending upon which way each of those stations decides to go).

      73 (radiotelegraphy code that meant 'best regards'),

                                         Fred, WB4AEJ

1. Amateur Radio Communications With Cuba

The following article was in the Amateur Radio Newsline this week:

                         CUBA AND THE ARRL

   Cuban American hams are angrily denouncing ARRL acceptance of an
invitation for United States hams to join their Cuban counterparts in
future operating events.  They are making their displeasure known on
voice, on CW and on packet.

   The crisis began after the league issued an official bulletin
saying that the Cuban national society had invited American amateurs
to participate in a joint operation in the 1994 ARRL June VHF QSO
Party.  It said that ARRL Oklahoma Section Manager Joe Lynch, N6CL,
received the invitation to lead the group during his visit to Cuba the
week of February 7th.

   Lynch, who is also the VHF editor of {CQ Magazine} was in Cuba as a
member of a Methodist Church work team.  While there, he extended
greetings from ARRL officials and presented Federacion Radioaficionados
de Cuba President Pedro Rodriguez, CO2RP, with a certificate of
participation for the June 1993 ARRL VHF QSO Party.  Joe also
presented an author's certificate to Arnie Coro, CO2KK, for his
article in December 1993 issue of the League's {QST Magazine.}

   But many Cuban expatriate hams living in south Florida say that
Rodriguez is nothing more than a puppet of Cuban Dictator Fidel
Castro.  They claim that Rodriguez is a member of the Cuban military
who was given a ham call sign and a new political job: the job of
keeping Cuban hams following the Castro party line.  This they say at
the risk of losing their ham radio privileges and possibly going to
jail.

  The Cubans hams living in the United States say that hams outside
Cuba should not be holding hands with the FRC.  Instead they should be
pressuring their national societies to force the FRC to loosen the
reign that dictator Castro has placed on the Cuban ham community.

   If it does take place, the joint VHF operation will place from
Bellomonte, Cuba.  Officials of the FRC say they have also taken under
consideration a proposal from an American group for a joint operation
from Cuba on the High Frequency bands in 1995.

                    -----------------------

The electronic publication of the Amateur Radio Newsline is distributed
with the permission of Bill Pasternak, WA6ITF, President and Editor of
Newsline.  The text is transcribed from the audio service by Dale Cary,
ND0AKO, and is first published on GEnie.

    Articles may be reproduced if printed in their entirety and
 credit is given to AMATEUR RADIO NEWSLINE as being the source.

    For further information about the AMATEUR RADIO NEWSLINE,
 please write to us with an SASE at P.O. Box 463, Pasadena, CA
 91102.

Thank you,

Jack Hamilton      Postal: POB 281107 SF CA 94128  USA

2. Oracle data provider: OracleType.Number parameter

3. Wireless Data Technology - Amateur Radio.FAQ

4. Q-bus Specification

5. Virtual Amateur Radio on the NET

6. VBA and Active X exe problem with form

7. Amateur Radio and Our Moderator

8. Windows winsock applications

9. How do Amateur Radio Operators Access Autopatch Lines

10. Radio Amateur Telecommunications Society WWW Page

11. Virtual Amateur Radio on the NET

12. Radio Communication Decoding