More "Features" For AT&T's 1-800 Service

Post by davidT » Thu, 17 Jun 1993 18:42:02

> In the May 24th {Information Week} on pg. 20 there is an
> article discussing new features that AT&T is planning for its 1-800
> network.  In particular, a call recognition routing feature will allow
> network managers to automatically route calls based on their ten digit
> phone number.  One of the suggested uses for this system is to
> automatically route calls from customers who are delinquent in their
> bill to your collections office.  Given the result when American
> Express used ANI to answer calls with the callers name, I can just
> imagine what customer reactions to this "feature" will be.

I'm curious as to what the result was when American Express used ANI,
and do they still?

[Moderator's Note: American Express customers got very annoyed and
very freaked out when the service reps answered the call greeting them
by name, etc.  Now the reps still get ANI and a picture of the account
calling them, but they pretend like they don't, and ask the customer
for their name and number.  PAT]

Post by John Osm » Sun, 20 Jun 1993 07:33:47

>> In the May 24th {Information Week} on pg. 20 there is an
>> article discussing new features that AT&T is planning for its 1-800
>> network.  In particular, a call recognition routing feature will allow
>> network managers to automatically route calls based on their ten digit
>> phone number.  One of the suggested uses for this system is to
>> automatically route calls from customers who are delinquent in their
>> bill to your collections office.  Given the result when American
>> Express used ANI to answer calls with the callers name, I can just
>> imagine what customer reactions to this "feature" will be.

Dell has a project to incorporate this kind of service for the ACD
groups here in Austin.  It will also allow Platinum and Gold Account
customer to go directly to "their" representative.

Quote:> I'm curious as to what the result was when American Express used ANI,
> and do they still?
> [Moderator's Note: American Express customers got very annoyed and
> very freaked out when the service reps answered the call greeting them
> by name, etc.  Now the reps still get ANI and a picture of the account
> calling them, but they pretend like they don't, and ask the customer
> for their name and number.  PAT]

Hmmm ... where can I get the information on this?  I'm sure our
telephony group would like to know this before they decide to
implement it.

1. More "Features" For AT&T's 1-800 Service

        In the May 24th {Information Week} on pg. 20 there is an
article discussing new features that AT&T is planning for its 1-800
network.  In particular, a call recognition routing feature will allow
network managers to automatically route calls based on their ten digit
phone number.  One of the suggested uses for this system is to
automatically route calls from customers who are delinquent in their
bill to your collections office.  Given the result when American
Express used ANI to answer calls with the callers name, I can just
imagine what customer reactions to this "feature" will be.

Bill Bogstad            Computer Science Dept

[Moderator's Note: This is just a variation on a frequently used
application in the AT&T Software Defined Network which allows outgoing
calls to be blocked/restricted by passcode, etc as set up by the local
administrator.  PAT]

2. SAMBA WOES on WIN98

3. Personal 1-800 and AT&T's "CALL ME" Card: What Difference?

4. Getting samples from a uSpeech

5. Dialing "Blocked" US 1-800, 888, 877 Numbers from Canada

6. Licensing Install Problem

7. Dialing "Blocked" US 1-800, 888, 877 Numbers From Canada

8. Printer log for multiple user

9. Finding Out the "Real" Number Behind a 1-800 Number

10. Finding out the "Real" Number Behind a 1-800 Number

11. Finding Out the "Real" Number behind a 1-800 Number