Cable & Wireless 800 Service (MCI and Telecom*USA, too)

Cable & Wireless 800 Service (MCI and Telecom*USA, too)

Post by Eddy J. Gurn » Fri, 03 May 1991 03:17:26

Steve Forrette mentioned that Cable & Wireless provides 800 service
for rates comparable to U.S. Sprint before they jacked up the price
$5/month.  Plus, they optionally provide remote programming of the
forwarding number for your 800 calls.  I checked C&W out when I was
originally looking into the 800 LDCs, and unfortunately, they only
offer it in certain area codes.  Mine is not one of them. :-( I called
them again today and confirmed this is still the case.  (If anyone is
interested, it is 517; Lansing, MI.)

I also called MCI about their "Follow Me 800" service, but the
representatives did not have any information available at this time,
and said "you will be hearing more about it."  I guess we'll see about
that.  I wonder if this too, will be a "shared" 800 number, or if they
will finally assign you your own number.

Finally, our Moderator's 800 carrier, Telecom*USA, has been consumed
by MCI, and will not allow new customers to add 800 service at the
incredible monthly rate of only $2.75/month.  They direct all your
calls to MCI, where they try to sell you MCI Personal (Shared) 800
with the infamous "personal security code".  I guess Pat is just lucky
he jumped on the bandwagon when he did! :-)

So the search continues for an 800 LDC besides U.S. Sprint.  Any more
suggestions?

I'll keep everyone posted.

[Moderator's Note: Except that *existing* customers of Telecom*USA at
the time of the MCI merger are still being serviced through
Telecom*USA customer service, and they still let us add/delete or
change around our 800 numbers as desired for $2.75 each.   PAT]

1. Cable & Wireless 800 Service (MCI and Telecom*USA, too)

[Stuff about C&W deleted]

C&W should be able to provide 800 service to any number since they
have it ring to a POTS line. The rep might have thought that you
wanted long distence service also ... which they don't offer from all
locations yet.

Follow Me will work with existing 'shared' 800 numbers starting May 15
and will cost $1 per change.  You can call Customer service and they
will chnage the ring number for you for up to 60 days. (It might be
90.)  They said if the system is up it should be changed within an
hour. You can also call two weeks in advance and give them an
effective time/date for any changes.

You have a choice of ATC which resells Telecom*USA's $2.75 type
service or 'Call Home' which also resells the same service. I dont
have the rates or details of the programs anymore.  You can check with
Directory Assistance for the phone numbers. (ATC is only in the
southeast US).

Maybe you should also call AllNet at 1-800-773-2020 (I think) their
rates are close to C&W's I think.

Let me know what you decide.

Telecom*USA would not let me modify my service. It started as a
Telesystem account to a SouthernNet account before it became
Telecom*USA. I still have a Telesystem calling card on it.

2. ABNORMAL PROGRAM TERMINATION. How to find the error?

3. Telecom*USA 800 Service vs. MCI

4. Passwords

5. MCI/Telecom*USA Personal 800 Story Continues

6. HP2500C Mech Pump Jam

7. MCI/Telecom*USA Personal 800 Billing Errors

8. Firewallls

9. Telecom*USA (was: MCI Personal 800 Bill Problem Continues)

10. Telecom*USA 800 Service

11. Telecom*USA 800 Service NOT Available

12. Cable & Wireless 800 Service