TCI Selects SAVANT Scheduling System

Post by Tom Porte » Wed, 19 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Telecommunications, Inc. has selected SAVANT for its Traffic
Scheduling system. SAVANT, developed by Myers Information Systems,
Inc. of W.  Springfield, Massachusetts, was first implemented at
ENCORE Media Corp.  and is now operational at TCI's Western
Telecommunications, Inc. uplink facilities in Englewood, Colorado.

SAVANT uses relational database software to build data files. It
retrieves and assembles the data to generate everything from Advanced
Schedules and Forecasting Reports, Management Reports and Final Logs
and output files to a number of automation systems.

ENCORE Media uses the software to build its many movie channel logs. The
software allows programming of one channel, multiple channels for one
supplier, and multiple suppliers with each having multiple channels and
logs. SAVANT also allows for insertion of interstitial materials into the
logs while checking for timing accuracy. The package controls timing to
the frame (level) for use with TCI's automation systems.

TCI utilizes SAVANT as a scheduling service far a number of its uplink
customers.

For more information contact:

Thomas K. Porter
Account Manager                  voice:  413/733-4888
Myers Information Systems, Inc.  fax:    413/733-4991

W. Springfield, MA 01089

1. TCI cable modem: response from TCI

        Lately and since I got my cable modem (Lancity LCPET domestic)
a couple months ago, I have experienced a total dropout of internet
connection at periods lasting anywhere from 5 minutes to 2 hours (ie
cannot even get ip under winipcfg.exe). These periods of inactivity
are confounding, but the connection to TCI's hub from my computer is
showing that all should be going well ( The diagnostic ok/blocksync
light is on at all times).

I experimented with restarting my computer and finally in frustration
I tried disconnecting the power to my Lancity modem, waited 10 or 15
seconds and then reconnected the power supply. After the modem went
thru its diagnostic routine (1-2 minutes) everything was fine. The
connection was fast and consistent. But the phenomenon of dropped
connections continued to happen at least 1 to 2 times a day.

I informed TCI of this and here is the reply I got from them:

It is okay to reboot the modem every now and then but if you do it
every day, the modem will eventually not connect at all or drop out as
you describe. Manually rebooting makes it work harder than it needs to
and will eventually just give up rebooting itself.  If you have been
doing this every day, then call and schedule a service call with us
because the modem will not be working properly.

Other than that, I don't have any ideas as to why your connection
drops when the two lights stay solid on the modem.  Have you tried
switching ethernet cables or ports on the hub?

So that is my current dilemma. I have had them come over and they
decided to replace the modem. Still have the same problems. And the
same solution of powering it down and back up again still works (I
don't do it everyday per their suggestion).

Is there any truth in the part about the modem failing on me if I
continue to disconnect it it from the power and then reconnect it?

I am at a loss as to what it may be.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thankyou.

2. Win32_PerfRawData_RemoteAccess_RASTotal

3. Selecting a phone line in a two line office phone system

4. Getting WE1.2 to Install

5. Help Us Select Our New Phone System Please

6. Help!

7. Networked Scheduling System

8. 2 bit DRAM

9. Help, "System policies do not allow adding the selected device"

10. Help for selecting a multi-port ISDN BRI cards for LAN PBX system

11. Cablevision to buy TCI's Connecticut systems

12. schedule Pix Access-list

13. Need help making a VPN client connection within Windows 2000 Scheduled Task