Caller ID (NOT another flame!)

Post by Robert Kapl » Mon, 19 Feb 1990 06:51:11

Maybe I'm just not as suspicious as the average Digest reader, but I
think that if I had caller ID in whatever form, I'd still find it
nearly useless.  After all, if the screen shows a number [or a name,
or whatever] that I don't know, it's as likely to be someone calling
me from a payphone somewhere as it is a life-insurance salesman.  In
other words, I'll answer my phone no matter who may be calling.

The one practical use I can think of is preventing me from answering
calls for my roommate, or vice versa.  Nevertheless, I suspect that as
caller ID comes into broader use, we'll find that it's not as useful
as we think it will be.  (And of course it'll never appear here at
Brandeis anyway :-)...)

Scott Fybush
Disclaimer: This may not even be my own opinion.