Dutch Police 'Bombard' Stolen Cell Phones With SMS

Post by Monty Solomo » Wed, 07 Nov 2001 14:49:45

Dutch Police 'Bombard' Stolen Cell Phones With SMS

By Andrew Rosenbaum, Special to Newsbytes
AMSTERDAM, NETHERLANDS
05 Nov 2001, 9:30 AM CST

The Amsterdam police have been using short messaging system (SMS)
missives to block the use of stolen cell phones, and while the
campaign has been successful, mobile providers are concerned about
the cost and bandwidth strain of the campaign.

About four months ago, the Amsterdam police began cooperating with
the national telecommunications provider, KPN Telekom. When stolen
phones are reported, the police asked KPN to use for the phone to
locate the telephone number. Then, every three to five minutes, the
police sent SMS messages to the telephone saying, "Warning, this is a
stolen telephone, using it is against the law - stealing it is a
felony."

http://www.newsbytes.com/news/01/171836.html
--
The Telecom Digest is currently mostly robomoderated. Please mail

Dutch Police 'Bombard' Stolen Cell Phones With SMS

Post by Don Russel » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 10:47:19

Be thankful they're not in Turkey where the sentence for theft can be the
loss of a hand.... You'll only do THAT twice... :-)

Post by Wes Leatheroc » Sat, 10 Nov 2001 05:40:17

> >About four months ago, the Amsterdam police began cooperating with
> >the national telecommunications provider, KPN Telekom. When stolen
> >phones are reported, the police asked KPN to use for the phone to
> >locate the telephone number. Then, every three to five minutes, the
> >police sent SMS messages to the telephone saying, "Warning, this is a
> >stolen telephone, using it is against the law - stealing it is a
> >felony."

> A felony?  In the US, felony theft generally requires a high monetary
> value for the item stolen, and most phone thefts would be misdemeanors.

> Are phones in the Netherlands especially expensive, or is the definition
> of felony different?

     In the U.S., traditionally the dividing line was $20.  Some
states raised it to $50.  And some higher yet, but I would guess
in many states the value of most cellphones would reach the threshold.

Wes Leatherock

--

Post by Bob Goudrea » Mon, 12 Nov 2001 07:22:06

> Be thankful they're not in Turkey where the sentence for theft
> can be the loss of a hand.... You'll only do THAT twice... :-)>

Oh, puhleez.  I know you had a smiley at the end, but the
slam at Turkey (a NATO member with a militantly secular
government) is a bit unwarranted.  In fact, it's hard to think
of any Muslim-majority country that would be *less* likely
than Turkey to adopt Shariah law (the Muslim legal code
that prescribes amputation for thieves, stoning for *erers,
etc.).  Iran, Saudi Arabia, and Taliban-held Afghanistan
do that sort of thing; Turkey most definitely does not.

Bob Goudreau
Cary, NC
--
The Telecom Digest is currently mostly robomoderated. Please mail

Dutch Police 'Bombard' Stolen Cell Phones With SMS

Post by Jan Chowdhur » Tue, 13 Nov 2001 17:35:45

Please take a close look at the Sharia laws before you say anything! As it
has VERY VERY strict rules about witness requirements before anybody's hand
can be chopped of. Also the person(thief) has to be proven unrealizable.
Amputation is only the last resort and taken very seriously.

Jan

Post by Marc Bret » Wed, 14 Nov 2001 00:11:36

> Please take a close look at the Sharia laws before you say anything! As it
> has VERY VERY strict rules about witness requirements before anybody's hand
> can be chopped of. Also the person(thief) has to be proven unrealizable.
> Amputation is only the last resort and taken very seriously.

The "VERY VERY strict rules about witness requirements" are just part
of the many horrors of Sharia:

Ref: http://www.veryComputer.com/

  The legal procedure, under Islam, can hardly be called impartial or
  fair, for in the matter of witnesses all sorts of injustices emerge.
  A non-Muslim may not testify against a Muslim. For example, a Muslim
  may rob a non-Muslim in his home with impunity if there are no
  witnesses except the non-Muslim himself.  The evidence of Muslim
  women is admitted only very exceptionally and then only from twice
  the number required of men.

Ref: http://www.veryComputer.com/

  On *ery the Koran 24.4 says: "Those that defame honourable women
  and cannot produce four witnesses shall be given eighty lashes." Of
  course, Muslim jurists will only accept four male witnesses. These
  witnesses must declare that they have "seen the parties in the very
  act of * conjunction. Once an accusation of * and
  *ery has been made, the accuser himself or herself risks
  punishment if he or she does not furnish the necessary legal proofs.
  Witnesses are in the same situation. If a man were to break into a
  woman's dormitory and* half a dozen women, he would risk nothing
  since there would be no male witnesses.  Indeed the victim of a*
  would hesitate before going in front of the law, since she would risk
  being condemned herself and have little chance of obtaining justice.
  "If the woman's words were sufficient in such cases," explains Judge
  Zharoor ul Haq of Pakistan, "then no man would be safe." This
  iniquitous situation is truly revolting and yet for Muslim law it is
  a way of avoiding social scandal concerning the all-important *
  taboo.  Women found guilty of * were literally immured, at
  first; as the Koran 4.15 says: "Shut them up within their houses till
  death release them, or God make some way for them." However this was
  later canceled and stoning substituted for *ery and one hundred
  lashes for *.  When a man is to be stoned to death, he is
  taken to some barren place, where he is stoned first by the
  witnesses, then the judge, and then the public. When a woman is
  stoned, a hole to receive her is dug as deep as her waist-the Prophet
  himself seems to have ordered such procedure. It is lawful for a man
  to kill his wife and her lover if he catches them in the very act.

  In the case where a man suspects his wife of *ery or denies the
  legitimacy of the offspring, his testimony is worth that of four men.
  Sura 24.6: "If a man accuses his wife but has no witnesses except
  himself, he shall swear four times by God that his charge is true,
  calling down upon himself the curse of God if he is lying. But if his
  wife swears four times by God that his charge is false and calls down
  His curse upon herself if it be true, she shall receive no
  punishment." Appearances to the contrary, this is not an example of
  Koranic justice or equality between the sexes. The woman indeed
  escapes being stoned to death but she remains rejected and loses her
  right to the dowry and her right to maintenance, whatever the outcome
  of the trial. A woman does not have the right to charge her husband
  in a similar manner. Finally, for a Muslim marriage to be valid there
  must be a multiplicity of witnesses. For Muslim jurists, two men form
  a multiplicity but not two or three or a thousand women.

--
Marc Brett  +44 20 8560 3160            WesternGeco

FAX: +44 20 8847 5711                   Middlesex TW7 5AA    UK
ICBM: TQ 15774 76378 (OSGB)
--
The Telecom Digest is currently mostly robomoderated. Please mail

Dutch Police 'Bombard' Stolen Cell Phones With SMS

Post by John R Levi » Wed, 14 Nov 2001 02:27:48

Quote:>> Please take a close look at the Sharia laws before you say anything!

Sharia law is fascinating, but unless it has some connection to the
operation of phone networks in Saudi Arabia or something, it's way
off topic for Telecom.  Enough, please.

--
John R. Levine, IECC, POB 727, Trumansburg NY 14886 +1 607 387 6869

Member, Provisional board, Coalition Against Unsolicited Commercial E-mail
--
The Telecom Digest is currently mostly robomoderated. Please mail

1. Dutch police fight cell theft with text 'bombs'

Dutch police fight cell theft with text 'bombs'

(IDG) -- The Amsterdam police force Tuesday announced that it has
found a new weapon against the rising theft of mobile telephones:
text message "bombs."

After a user reports his GMS handset stolen, the police start sending
out one Short Message Service text message to the phone every three
minutes: "This handset was nicked, buying or selling is a crime. The
police."

http://www.cnn.com/2001/TECH/ptech/03/28/SMS.bomb.idg/index.html
--
The Telecom Digest is currently mostly robomoderated. Please mail

2. Bluetooth activation, help needed

3. Cell Phones,'Crime Fighters of the '90s,' Are Striking Out

4. How do I get Only Once to mean Only Once?

5. 'E911' Turns Cell Phones into Tracking Devices

6. win95drv.exe (16/32) "Calcomp Win 95 drivers"

7. Cell Phones: Dial 'S' for Shock

8. Movies?

9. Java: It's What's On The Cell Phone

10. Cell Phones Q's: 1-Need GREAT Digital Phone

11. Cell Phones Q's: 1-Need GREAT Digital Phone 2-Credit Card

12. Don't Steal Phone Service, Or Else!

13. Using 888 to 'Steal' Customers / Problems in Business