MCI Mail Continues to Dump Incoming Mail

MCI Mail Continues to Dump Incoming Mail

Post by TELECOM Moderato » Mon, 14 Dec 1992 04:14:49

The problem I have mentioned here in the past continues unabated. MCI
Mail is still continuing to dump large amounts of mail from the
Internet if they have any problem at all with a single address on the
envelope.

I send dozens of copies of each issue of TELECOM Digest to subscribers
at MCI Mail. If so much as one address is incorrect (because the
person quits the service or changes addresses there without telling
me) then MCI Mail *refuses* to deliver any of the copies to anyone,
and dumps it all out.

Every other site I send to -- thousands of them -- can deal with
multiple addresses in the envelope, and an error in any one of the
addresses. But MCI Mail persists in doing things their way rather than
following the standards set up for email.

Each time I become aware of MCI Mail dumping an entire issue of the
Digest undelivered to their subscribers I have to make a separate
mailing list up just for them and remail that issue. This is happening
now about once or twice a week -- it used to be not more than once
every month or two.  I've had technical people from MCI Mail say they
were going to look into it ... but that is as far as it has gotten. If
this cannot be corrected soon, then my response will be to delete
mcimail from the telecom mailing list and suggest that those
subscribers find some other site to receive the Digest.

If this is happening to me this often, I wonder how often other
Digests or mailing lists with readers at MCI Mail are getting bouces?

Patrick Townson
TELECOM Moderator

MCI Mail Continues to Dump Incoming Mail

Post by Rich Greenbe » Tue, 15 Dec 1992 03:17:30

Are there so many MCI Mail addressees that sending each of them an
individual copy would be impractical?  If not, and your software can
be adjusted to do this, the initial headache of setting it up would
eliminate future headaches. Just dump the bounces.

[Moderator's Note: Your proposal would cause a lot of extra work for
everyone in the middle ... it *would* work, but one of the reasons for
the standards as they are written now is to avoid such extra handling
of mail and the requisite bandwidth. I have several dozen subscribers
on the mailing list at mcimail.com.  I won't do it as you suggest.  PAT]

MCI Mail Continues to Dump Incoming Mail

Post by Ed Greenbe » Tue, 15 Dec 1992 10:17:23

I have to believe that the reason this isn't getting attention is that
it is related to delivering mail for which nobody has paid.

The only way to get MCI to do something about this is for those of you
getting TELECOM Digest via MCI Mail to write, threatening to pull your
accounts.

1600 Stokes St. #24  | Work: +1 408 764 5305 | DoD#: 0357
San Jose, CA  95126  | Fax:  +1 408 764 5003 | KM6CG (ex WB2GOH)

[Moderator's Note: I've already received copies of correspondence sent
to MCI Help from readers there. Thanks for sending them along.  PAT]

MCI Mail Continues to Dump Incoming Mail

Post by Jerry Swe » Tue, 15 Dec 1992 10:16:48

I had the same problem with MCI Mail a year or two ago when I was
maintaining a bunch of OSI-related lists.  Also had a similar problem
with ATTMail addresses.  Ever attempt to contact someone in charge of
ATTMail?  Forget it.  NRI, which runs the Internet-MCI Mail gateway,
at least responded when I asked them a question about the problem.

So I solved my particular problem by writing a script that uses two
separate mailing lists: "*" addresses and "nice" addresses.  The
"*" addresses get e-mail sent to each address individually.
It's a definite added burden on the mailhost, but them's the breaks.
The "nice" addresses get bundled mail, as usual.

I'd be happy to send the script to you if you wish.  It's written in
perl, and is designed to do deal with a list setup significantly
different from yours, but it can at least provide an example.

[Moderator's Note: See my reply above. I am not going to inconvenience
my hosts here further by requiring them to handle the mail in this
way. The simplest answer is to simply cut off the commercial sites
which can't conform.  Delivery of Internet Digests to commercial
services is a very grey area anyway where the rules are concerned. I
do it as a convenience for people who prefer to receive the Digest at
those services; I do not do it so MCI/ATT can make money handling my
(otherwise) non-profit trafic.   PAT]

MCI Mail Continues to Dump Incoming Mail

Post by Dennis G. Rear » Thu, 17 Dec 1992 17:42:35

Rich Greenberg asked:

Quote:> Are there so many MCI Mail addressees that sending each of them an
> individual copy would be impractical?  If not, and your software can
> be adjusted to do this, the initial headache of setting it up would
> eliminate future headaches. Just dump the bounces.
> [Moderator's Note: Your proposal would cause a lot of extra work for
> everyone in the middle ... it *would* work, but one of the reasons for
> the standards as they are written now is to avoid such extra handling
> of mail and the requisite bandwidth. I have several dozen subscribers
> on the mailing list at mcimail.com.  I won't do it as you suggest.  PAT]

   I have to agree with Pat.  I have 18 addresses with mcimail.  I
don't have the time to set up something special for mcimail and
compuserve.  Unlike Pat, I don't even bother trying to send the
messages separately.  People who do not run a list have no idea how
much time we spend on it.  Even when everything is going right I spend
at least five hours a week (my time not the company) time on my
Digest.  Pat spends at least two hours a night.  We shouldn't have to
waste time on it, when the company that is being *PAID* to run a mail
system doesn't do it right.

  Incidently most of the Moderators on the Moderator's mail list agree
with Pat and I on this issue.

dennis

[Moderator's Note: Dennis Rears is the Moderator of the privacy forum
which had its origins here in telecom a couple years ago and split off
when the eternal discussion on Caller-ID got out of control.  I've had
others suggest sending MCI readers individual copies rather than a
single copy with a mutiple-address (blind cc) envelope; my answer is
still the same. Many of the Moderators will agree: we have bent over
backwards to accomodate the commercial sites and their idiosyncracies;
I do not intend to impose on eecs.nwu.edu in this way; nor will I
impose on Reston (the gateway).  PAT]

1. AT&T Mail vs MCI Mail

Would anyone care to give me some feedback on the relative merits of MCI
Mail and AT&T Mail? I'd like to be able to send FAXes to my father in
Australia, and the two companies charge about the same amount for the
service. I've used MCI Mail in the past and wasn't overly fond of the user
interface back then, but my brief examination of AT&T Mail didn't lead me
to believe it'd be any better. Has MCI got any better? What other facilities
do they have that might help me make a decision?
---

2. Faxing from Palm IIIx with GSM

3. Double Hi-res

4. AT&T Mail vs. MCI Mail: Which is Better?

5. Term transfer progs needed for A2000

6. Mail client reaches mail server, mail does not

7. Voltage of Cat 5?

8. MCI Mail Automatic Autoforwarding (MCI Press Release)

9. Continuing Trouble With NYNEX Voice Mail in NYC

10. Administrivia: Troubles With Mail Continue

11. Dumping a call to V Mail on MICS and NAM

12. Netscape Mail Server can't receive mail when sit behind PIX Firewall...