FEATURE-Online Game Strategy Splits Video Game Industry

FEATURE-Online Game Strategy Splits Video Game Industry

Post by Monty Solomo » Thu, 22 May 2003 08:38:24

By Reed Stevenson and Ben Berkowitz

LOS ANGELES, May 20 (Reuters) - It's a karaoke machine and a video
conferencing center, a wireless jukebox and a DVD player. The latest
and greatest gadget in home entertainment?

No, just the well-worn video game console your kids already have in
the living room.

In the turf war being fought to control space in the living room of
the future, rivals Sony Corp. (TOKYO:6758) and Microsoft
Corp. (NASDAQ:MSFT) have made it clear that the current generation of
game consoles were meant to be Trojan horses -- the real pay-off would
come when the machines were connected to a network.

Now, as both companies unveil the Internet-based services expected to
be the next big thing for the $30 billion games business, sharp
differences over their strategies have emerged along with a debate
about how much consumers will be willing to pay for such online
offerings.

     - http://finance.lycos.com/home/news/story.asp?story=34269901

Post by Davi » Sun, 25 May 2003 01:46:01

> By Reed Stevenson and Ben Berkowitz
> LOS ANGELES, May 20 (Reuters) - It's a karaoke machine and a video
> conferencing center, a wireless jukebox and a DVD player. The latest
> and greatest gadget in home entertainment?
> No, just the well-worn video game console your kids already have in
> the living room.
> In the turf war being fought to control space in the living room of
> the future, rivals Sony Corp. (TOKYO:6758) and Microsoft
> Corp. (NASDAQ:MSFT) have made it clear that the current generation of
> game consoles were meant to be Trojan horses -- the real pay-off would
> come when the machines were connected to a network.
> Now, as both companies unveil the Internet-based services expected to
> be the next big thing for the $30 billion games business, sharp
> differences over their strategies have emerged along with a debate
> about how much consumers will be willing to pay for such online
> offerings.
>      - http://www.veryComputer.com/

So what are Sony's major initiatives (new products, services,
features) related to online * over the next 12 to 18 months?

1. Routers / streaming video / online games

I have a 3 station P2P network, interconnected via a Linksys 4 port router,
connected to a broadband cable modem. TCP/IP is the only protocol installed
(other that NetBios over TCP/IP which is not visible). I am having the same
problem from all of the workstations which are all running a different OS,
Win2000 Pro, WinME, Win98SE.

Although everything else seems to work well, when trying to view streaming
video from some sites, CNN is one of them,  the download of the video does
not happen.

I am wondering if there is a need to install another protocol or some change
in router settings required

In addition, there seems to be a number of on-line games that do not
function. Once again I am wondering if there is a requirement for additional
protocol or possible router setting change.

The router is using DCHP, dynamic addressing and all PC are set to obtain IP
addresses automatically.

Any insight will be appreciated.

Regards,
Roy

2. So .. now that Alpha is toast

3. on-line newsletter for video dialtone and other telco-video strategies

4. QNX version of gnu.emacs

5. Any good strategy game over the modem ?

6. DJ Cafxe9 - Hard of Flames

7. NATIONAL TV LOOKING FOR COMPUTER GAMES PRODUCERS FOR MAKING A PROGRAMM ABOUT COMPUTER GAMES.

8. Transaction vanishes, must salvage to get it back!

9. WNBA.com to Conduct First-Ever Live Video Webcast of a Game

10. on CNN tonight to talk about video game ratings

11. Nokia Mobile Phone Includes Video Games

12. AT&T Spending $5(m) on Video Games

13. Cable modem lags during video game play, but only on local side.