NO TEXTURES SHOWING UP IN DX9

Post by seaco » Fri, 10 Jan 2003 00:46:48

SECOND TIME TRYING TO POST.  DOING NOTHING SPECIAL, JUST
MODIFIED SAMPLE CODE, TEXTURES OK ON SOME MODELS, NOT
SHOWING UP ON OTHERS IN SAME APP. NEED HELP.  PRONTO.

Post by Eyal Tele » Fri, 10 Jan 2003 01:18:02

> SECOND TIME TRYING TO POST.  DOING NOTHING SPECIAL, JUST
> MODIFIED SAMPLE CODE, TEXTURES OK ON SOME MODELS, NOT
> SHOWING UP ON OTHERS IN SAME APP. NEED HELP.  PRONTO.

What's the response code when reading the textures? Did the debug
runtime print any messages?

        Eyal

NO TEXTURES SHOWING UP IN DX9

Post by seaco » Fri, 10 Jan 2003 01:56:46

Hi Eyal,

Thanks for responding.  I've tried posting to msdn for 2
days now with this question, it looks like it finally got
put there.  I am using the clipmirror example code for
RestoreDeviceObjects, the textures appear for one model
and not the other.  The de* shows everything is valid
as far as finding textures for the objects.  Do I have to
do anything special for lighting?

Post by Eyal Tele » Fri, 10 Jan 2003 02:22:40

Well, you have to make sure that your shader or texture state does
something with the texture. I'm not using DX9 yet, so haven't tried
the D3DSpy, but it'd probably help you see if the state is correct
when rendering.

        Eyal

> Hi Eyal,

> Thanks for responding.  I've tried posting to msdn for 2
> days now with this question, it looks like it finally got
> put there.  I am using the clipmirror example code for
> RestoreDeviceObjects, the textures appear for one model
> and not the other.  The de* shows everything is valid
> as far as finding textures for the objects.  Do I have to
> do anything special for lighting?

Post by seaco » Fri, 10 Jan 2003 04:48:49

Eyal,

I figured this one out.  Because I was using CD3DFile for
my mesh vs. CD3DMesh (as the examples do), I had to
explicitly call SetFVF (also, as the axamples do).
Textures appeared as would be expected.

Ex:
CD3DFile* pObj;
// assume pObj is init'ed
HRESULT hr = pObj->Create (mpd3dDevice, _T("obj.x"));
if (pObj)
{
  CD3DMesh* pMesh = pObj->FindMesh(_T("obj_whatever"));
  if (pmesh)
  {
    pMesh->SetFVF (mpd3dDevice, D3DFVF_WHATEVER | ...);
  }

Quote:}

It became clear as I really scrutinized the examples.

1. textures not showing up in DX9

Well, they are showing up for one model, but not another.
I'm not trying to do anything fancy with the textures, nor
the models (to debug this I am using the stock .x files
that came with the sdk).

Any ideas what I am doing wrong? (please note I am not
being specific here on purpose, as I am not doing anything
miraculous with the sdk, just a few models trying to be
rendered using some of the sample code supplied with the
sdk (clipmirror, billboard, stencilmirror).

2. Q: Stupid Error

3. rendering textured quad strip and showing textured points?!?

4. MPEG player for the Mac!!!

5. Textures doesn't show (correctly) for projected textures

6. Celerons and DUAL CPU setups

7. DX9: How to update non-dynamic texture when format is not supported by CreateOffScreenPlainSurface

8. Unsharp Mask explained

9. Texture from multisampled surface in DX9

10. DX9 Texture Tool FAILED!

11. multisampled texture in DX9

12. How to setup multisampled texture target in DX9

13. multisampled dynamic texture in DX9