XSkinExp problem with textures

Post by Brian Durne » Thu, 23 May 2002 05:46:24

I am trying to convert 3DS Max models to X format and have
not been able to get textures to work correctly.  I read
Eric DeBrosse's tutorial, and I read his replies to a
question about incorrect textures for cylinders, but I have
not been able to solve this problem.

I am using 3DS Max version 4.3 with the version of XSkinExp
for 3DS Max version 4.  I have tried many different
variations, but the simplest test was making a box and
applying a texture to it, as in Eric's tutorial.  When I
run my DirectX program to use the X file the object's color
is determined by the texture bitmap, but the image is not
recognizable.  For instance, when I use a picture with blue
sky in part of it as the map, the object is blue, but I
don't see the image.  When I use conv3ds.exe, the texture
maps work OK but there are other problems, so I would like
to find out what the problem with XSkinExp is.

Thanks.

XSkinExp problem with textures

Post by Eric DeBrosse [MS MVP » Fri, 24 May 2002 03:07:54

The problem is the exporter is not exporting the MeshTextureCoords template
to your x file.

meshdata.cpp, line 197:

I've found that removing the HAS_TVERTS flag from the if statement at line
197 and then re-compiling seems to fix the problem.  A search through the
code comments show this flag is now obsolete.

I hope this helps!

--
Eric DeBrosse
http://www.mvps.org/vbdx/

The opinions expressed in this message are my own personal views and
do not reflect the official views of Microsoft Corporation. The MVP program
does not constitute employment or contractual obligation with Microsoft.

Quote:> I am trying to convert 3DS Max models to X format and have
> not been able to get textures to work correctly.  I read
> Eric DeBrosse's tutorial, and I read his replies to a
> question about incorrect textures for cylinders, but I have
> not been able to solve this problem.

> I am using 3DS Max version 4.3 with the version of XSkinExp
> for 3DS Max version 4.  I have tried many different
> variations, but the simplest test was making a box and
> applying a texture to it, as in Eric's tutorial.  When I
> run my DirectX program to use the X file the object's color
> is determined by the texture bitmap, but the image is not
> recognizable.  For instance, when I use a picture with blue
> sky in part of it as the map, the object is blue, but I
> don't see the image.  When I use conv3ds.exe, the texture
> maps work OK but there are other problems, so I would like
> to find out what the problem with XSkinExp is.

> Thanks.

XSkinExp problem with textures

Post by Stephan Bedar » Fri, 24 May 2002 04:02:56

Any idea where I would get the max.h file needed to compile the XSkinExp
tool?

> The problem is the exporter is not exporting the MeshTextureCoords
template
> to your x file.

> meshdata.cpp, line 197:

> I've found that removing the HAS_TVERTS flag from the if statement at line
> 197 and then re-compiling seems to fix the problem.  A search through the
> code comments show this flag is now obsolete.

> I hope this helps!

> --
> Eric DeBrosse
> http://www.mvps.org/vbdx/
> Microsoft Visual Basic DirectX MVP

> The opinions expressed in this message are my own personal views and
> do not reflect the official views of Microsoft Corporation. The MVP
program
> does not constitute employment or contractual obligation with Microsoft.

> > I am trying to convert 3DS Max models to X format and have
> > not been able to get textures to work correctly.  I read
> > Eric DeBrosse's tutorial, and I read his replies to a
> > question about incorrect textures for cylinders, but I have
> > not been able to solve this problem.

> > I am using 3DS Max version 4.3 with the version of XSkinExp
> > for 3DS Max version 4.  I have tried many different
> > variations, but the simplest test was making a box and
> > applying a texture to it, as in Eric's tutorial.  When I
> > run my DirectX program to use the X file the object's color
> > is determined by the texture bitmap, but the image is not
> > recognizable.  For instance, when I use a picture with blue
> > sky in part of it as the map, the object is blue, but I
> > don't see the image.  When I use conv3ds.exe, the texture
> > maps work OK but there are other problems, so I would like
> > to find out what the problem with XSkinExp is.

> > Thanks.

XSkinExp problem with textures

Post by Eric DeBrosse [MS MVP » Fri, 24 May 2002 04:25:39

You need to install the 3ds max SDK, it should have came with your max cds.
You might also try searching the discreet support web site:

http://www.discreet.com/support/max/

--
Eric DeBrosse
http://www.mvps.org/vbdx/
Microsoft Visual Basic DirectX MVP

The opinions expressed in this message are my own personal views and
do not reflect the official views of Microsoft Corporation. The MVP program
does not constitute employment or contractual obligation with Microsoft.

> Any idea where I would get the max.h file needed to compile the XSkinExp
> tool?

> > The problem is the exporter is not exporting the MeshTextureCoords
> template
> > to your x file.

> > meshdata.cpp, line 197:

> > I've found that removing the HAS_TVERTS flag from the if statement at
line
> > 197 and then re-compiling seems to fix the problem.  A search through
the
> > code comments show this flag is now obsolete.

> > I hope this helps!

> > --
> > Eric DeBrosse
> > http://www.mvps.org/vbdx/
> > Microsoft Visual Basic DirectX MVP

> > The opinions expressed in this message are my own personal views and
> > do not reflect the official views of Microsoft Corporation. The MVP
> program
> > does not constitute employment or contractual obligation with Microsoft.

> > > I am trying to convert 3DS Max models to X format and have
> > > not been able to get textures to work correctly.  I read
> > > Eric DeBrosse's tutorial, and I read his replies to a
> > > question about incorrect textures for cylinders, but I have
> > > not been able to solve this problem.

> > > I am using 3DS Max version 4.3 with the version of XSkinExp
> > > for 3DS Max version 4.  I have tried many different
> > > variations, but the simplest test was making a box and
> > > applying a texture to it, as in Eric's tutorial.  When I
> > > run my DirectX program to use the X file the object's color
> > > is determined by the texture bitmap, but the image is not
> > > recognizable.  For instance, when I use a picture with blue
> > > sky in part of it as the map, the object is blue, but I
> > > don't see the image.  When I use conv3ds.exe, the texture
> > > maps work OK but there are other problems, so I would like
> > > to find out what the problem with XSkinExp is.

> > > Thanks.

XSkinExp problem with textures

Post by Stephan Bedar » Fri, 24 May 2002 04:22:38

Never mind, I found the files in the Max SDK and the Character Studio SDK (I
didn't have them installed)

> Any idea where I would get the max.h file needed to compile the XSkinExp
> tool?

> > The problem is the exporter is not exporting the MeshTextureCoords
> template
> > to your x file.

> > meshdata.cpp, line 197:

> > I've found that removing the HAS_TVERTS flag from the if statement at
line
> > 197 and then re-compiling seems to fix the problem.  A search through
the
> > code comments show this flag is now obsolete.

> > I hope this helps!

> > --
> > Eric DeBrosse
> > http://www.mvps.org/vbdx/
> > Microsoft Visual Basic DirectX MVP

> > The opinions expressed in this message are my own personal views and
> > do not reflect the official views of Microsoft Corporation. The MVP
> program
> > does not constitute employment or contractual obligation with Microsoft.

> > > I am trying to convert 3DS Max models to X format and have
> > > not been able to get textures to work correctly.  I read
> > > Eric DeBrosse's tutorial, and I read his replies to a
> > > question about incorrect textures for cylinders, but I have
> > > not been able to solve this problem.

> > > I am using 3DS Max version 4.3 with the version of XSkinExp
> > > for 3DS Max version 4.  I have tried many different
> > > variations, but the simplest test was making a box and
> > > applying a texture to it, as in Eric's tutorial.  When I
> > > run my DirectX program to use the X file the object's color
> > > is determined by the texture bitmap, but the image is not
> > > recognizable.  For instance, when I use a picture with blue
> > > sky in part of it as the map, the object is blue, but I
> > > don't see the image.  When I use conv3ds.exe, the texture
> > > maps work OK but there are other problems, so I would like
> > > to find out what the problem with XSkinExp is.

> > > Thanks.

1. UVW Map texture coordinates can't be export from xskinexp.dle

Hi,
   I am using xskinexp.dle to export model in 3dsmax,but after I render it
in my application, the texture wasn't mapped as it was in 3dsmax.  Whatever
I change of uvw map in 3dsmax,the texture coordinate in .x file always are
fixed.  Does anyone know why ?
  thanks alot!

yours sincerely
Ken

2. Collected .FLI info: sites+format

3. xskinexp.dle exporting textures + animation as text file

4. ? jpeg viewer for Mac Plus w/system 6.0.8

5. To solve XSkinExp problems

6. FREE Registry ....

7. About the problems arising when working with XSkinExp exporter

8. fffggf

9. XSkinExp problem with tiles (X-file)

10. xskinexp problem

11. Documentation about XSkinExp.dle and SkinnedMesh sample?

12. XSkinExp.dle

13. Patched XSkinExp.dle??