DX VB.NET Vs DX VC++.NET

Post by Jacky Lu » Sat, 07 Jun 2003 15:36:56

I feel no easier when programming VB.NET for DX9
but still yet VC++.NET gives you more flexibility...
How do you guys feel about this?
Thanks
Jack

DX VB.NET Vs DX VC++.NET

Post by MVP » Sat, 07 Jun 2003 15:55:25

Quote:> I feel no easier when programming VB.NET for DX9
> but still yet VC++.NET gives you more flexibility...
> How do you guys feel about this?

Are you talking about managed code?  If so, this post belongs in the
../managed newsgroup.

DX VB.NET Vs DX VC++.NET

Post by Eyal Tele » Sun, 08 Jun 2003 00:47:31

Quote:>>I feel no easier when programming VB.NET for DX9
>>but still yet VC++.NET gives you more flexibility...
>>How do you guys feel about this?

> Are you talking about managed code?  If so, this post belongs in the
> ../managed newsgroup.

I think he's just asking if we feel C++ is preferable to VB for Direct3D.

My answer is: can't really say. I don't know VB. I'm not sure that C++
really provides more flexibility. It probably does provide better
performance.

        Eyal

DX VB.NET Vs DX VC++.NET

Post by Rich [Microsoft Direct3D MV » Sat, 07 Jun 2003 23:51:08

Quote:>I feel no easier when programming VB.NET for DX9
>but still yet VC++.NET gives you more flexibility...
>How do you guys feel about this?

At this point, I would still use C++ for writing Direct3D apps.
However, someone who is more familiar with VB and doesn't know C++
might feel more comfortable using managed DirectX and vb.net.

DX VB.NET Vs DX VC++.NET

Post by Rich [Microsoft Direct3D MV » Sat, 07 Jun 2003 23:59:36

Quote:>My answer is: can't really say. I don't know VB. I'm not sure that C++
>really provides more flexibility. It probably does provide better
>performance.

So far, modulo bugs, the only thing I've not seen in the managed API
that is in the unmanaged API has to do with the light color.  In the
managed API, the light colors (diffuse, ambient, etc.) aren't floats,
so you can't use values outside [0,1] for the color channels, in
particular you can't get negative lights.  Other than that, I believe
they provide all the same functionality.

DX VB.NET Vs DX VC++.NET

Post by Peter Rac » Thu, 12 Jun 2003 23:40:12

> >My answer is: can't really say. I don't know VB. I'm not sure that C++
> >really provides more flexibility. It probably does provide better
> >performance.

> So far, modulo bugs, the only thing I've not seen in the managed API
> that is in the unmanaged API has to do with the light color.  In the
> managed API, the light colors (diffuse, ambient, etc.) aren't floats,
> so you can't use values outside [0,1] for the color channels, in
> particular you can't get negative lights.  Other than that, I believe
> they provide all the same functionality.

I made big applications (not with DirectX) with VB and big ones with C++.
C++ is a language, which is much more structured than basic. For me it is
the first choice for programs which handle big and complicated data
structures. VB is something for business applications making reports and
beautiful diagrams.

Peter

1. Setting up VC++ .Net with DX

 Hello,

I am fairly new when it comes to directx 8 and
visual c++ .net. I want to set up vc++ .net with
directx but my sample-source code wont compile.

I keep getting the error message:

referenced in function "long __cdecl InitialiseD3D(struct HWND__ *)" (?

DX Project 2 fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals

The line of code that doesn't work is the following:
  g_pD3D = Direct3DCreate8(D3D_SDK_VERSION);
  if(g_pD3D == NULL)
  {
    return E_FAIL;
  }

I have included both the directx lib and include dirs in visual c++
(tools/options/projects/vc++ directories).

I have also included <d3d8.h> in the source code.

Still my source code wont work. And i have no clue
whatsoever on how to solve this. Any help would be
appreciated.

cheers,
Robert

2. Vendor Id, Device Id

3. DX, .NET Framework, and Game Interfaces... Question

4. Video & graphics on O2

5. Troubles with DX 8.1 and .NET

6. Plugin Development

7. Not Able To Compile DX.-7 Samples of ATI RadeonSDK in DX-8 Environment

8. Is VC the only choice to DX programming?

9. Performance comparison: C++ vs. C#/VB.NET

10. no function hints in vc++6 nor .net

11. Newbie question: OpenGL and VC++.NET

12. DX 8.1 vs DX7 Blt