vsync or not ?

Post by Jan Hammerschmid » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 12:41:15

Hi,

right now, i'm trying to figure out, if i should use immediate or "vsync"
mode, when creating my d3d-device.
i've always thought immediate mode is better, but currently i can't really
see the advantage:

firstly, i have problems with dInput, when using this mode. especially when
"pre-rendering" many pictures (i can modify this number in my detonators,
can you change this in d3d as well ..? and what does it actually mean ? :>)

secondly: isn't it just a waste of processing power ? wouldn't it be better
to Present() with D3DPRESENT_DONOTWAIT and then doing something different,
if the device isnt' ready yet ? hmm .. but you could do this in immediate
mode as well with some time-calculations, couldn't you ?

ok, but what is the "real" advantage of immediate mode ? :>

ah, and a second question:
what is a good/fast alternative to D3DXFONT (which seems to be very slow..)
?

vsync or not ?

Post by Ironpoin » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 16:21:42

Quote:> Hi,

> right now, i'm trying to figure out, if i should use immediate or "vsync"
> mode, when creating my d3d-device.
> i've always thought immediate mode is better, but currently i can't really
> see the advantage:

Basically immediate is useful only for debugging so you can see your apps
true performance in fps.
vsync is for the release so that users don't see tearing.  You could make
this an option in your app.

vsync or not ?

Post by Stephan Ros » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 04:21:11

With the DONOTWAIT flag, it makes no difference as it does not wait
for the next vsync.

Good thing about immediate mode however is to all you to see your
exact framerate and being able to tell the difference in framerates
when you modify your code. Good for performance tuning. If you always
see 60 or 70 fps....you never know if you're raising or lowering
performance w/ changes you are making.

As for the font. I just copied the font class with the SDK, and
converted it to work with my engine. It is very fast, and works
flawless. Though I do reccomend getting rid of the stateblocks they
use and change the code to only modify states that are absolutley
required for the font engine to work together with your engine in
order to eliminate all their redundant state changes caused by the
stateblocks.

Stephan Rose

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 05:41:15 +0200, "Jan Hammerschmidt"

>Hi,

>right now, i'm trying to figure out, if i should use immediate or "vsync"
>mode, when creating my d3d-device.
>i've always thought immediate mode is better, but currently i can't really
>see the advantage:

>firstly, i have problems with dInput, when using this mode. especially when
>"pre-rendering" many pictures (i can modify this number in my detonators,
>can you change this in d3d as well ..? and what does it actually mean ? :>)

>secondly: isn't it just a waste of processing power ? wouldn't it be better
>to Present() with D3DPRESENT_DONOTWAIT and then doing something different,
>if the device isnt' ready yet ? hmm .. but you could do this in immediate
>mode as well with some time-calculations, couldn't you ?

>ok, but what is the "real" advantage of immediate mode ? :>

>ah, and a second question:
>what is a good/fast alternative to D3DXFONT (which seems to be very slow..)
>?

1. Waiting (or not) for VSync with SwapBuffers

Hi,

Is it possible to choose (in my app. code) wether "SwapBuffers" waits or not
for vertical synchronization ?

My video card's driver offers 3 choices (in its settings panel) :
- Always disable VSync
- Disable by default
- Enable by default

and it says that "by default" means : "unless an app. sets it to another
value", so I guess it should be possible to control this state within an
application.

Thanks.

2. painting problem when dragging window

3. D3D_PRESENT_INTERVAL_ONE not vsync locked

4. I′m lookink for DPS PERCEPTION (PAL)

5. Unique Vsync Guidelines for vfc ?

6. Help: struggling with an X terminal

7. screen update without using Vertical Retrace (VSYNC) ?

8. Animation and VSync

9. turn off vsync

10. GLUT vsync question

11. opengl disable/manage vsync