DX9 runtime and DX8.1 development

Post by Peter Rac » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 00:18:57

Hello,

I have installed the full DX8.1 SDK and I am developing with it.
Now the question, is it possible to install only the DX9 runtime and leaving
the SDK on 8.1 level? I ask this, because I don't want to switch to
developing with DX9, but I would like to use some nvidia Photoshop plugins,
which require DX9 runtime?

thank you
Peter

DX9 runtime and DX8.1 development

Post by Ronny Burkersrod » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 00:36:03

Hello Peter,

you can develop DX8.1 applications with the complete DX9 SDK, but it is also
possible to choose only the runtime part being installed.

Quote:> Hello,

> I have installed the full DX8.1 SDK and I am developing with it.
> Now the question, is it possible to install only the DX9 runtime and
leaving
> the SDK on 8.1 level? I ask this, because I don't want to switch to
> developing with DX9, but I would like to use some nvidia Photoshop
plugins,
> which require DX9 runtime?

> thank you
> Peter

DX9 runtime and DX8.1 development

Post by Peter Rac » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 16:06:23

Quote:> Hello Peter,

> you can develop DX8.1 applications with the complete DX9 SDK, but it is
also
> possible to choose only the runtime part being installed.

Are there really no drawbacks installing the DX9 runtime over the DX8.1 SDK?
Does debugging work in any detail as before?
Can I switch between release and debug version in the control panel?
Has somebody experiences?

Thanks
Peter

DX9 runtime and DX8.1 development

Post by Ronny Burkersrod » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 16:41:17

Hello Peter,

DirectX 9 SDK has got complete new header, library and DLL files and
installs older versions like 8.x, too.
I am currently developing a 3D engine on version 9 and a game out of an
older one, which uses DirectX 8.1. There are no problems and everything
works like it should. The debug runtime is also running for DirectX 8.x
applications. So you are able to develop with version 9, but maybe you
should leave the help file from 8.1 on your harddisk, because the one of the
9.0 SDK does not contain it.

Good Luck!

> > Hello Peter,

> > you can develop DX8.1 applications with the complete DX9 SDK, but it is
> also
> > possible to choose only the runtime part being installed.

> Are there really no drawbacks installing the DX9 runtime over the DX8.1
SDK?
> Does debugging work in any detail as before?
> Can I switch between release and debug version in the control panel?
> Has somebody experiences?

> Thanks
> Peter

DX9 runtime and DX8.1 development

Post by Peter Rac » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 17:09:21

Quote:> Hello Peter,

> DirectX 9 SDK has got complete new header, library and DLL files and
> installs older versions like 8.x, too.
> I am currently developing a 3D engine on version 9 and a game out of an
> older one, which uses DirectX 8.1. There are no problems and everything
> works like it should. The debug runtime is also running for DirectX 8.x
> applications. So you are able to develop with version 9, but maybe you
> should leave the help file from 8.1 on your harddisk, because the one of
the
> 9.0 SDK does not contain it.

> Good Luck!

Thank you

Peter

DX9 runtime and DX8.1 development

Post by Rich [Microsoft Direct3D MV » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 07:03:15

Quote:>Are there really no drawbacks installing the DX9 runtime over the DX8.1 SDK?

I believe if you install the 9.0 runtime, then the 8.1 SDK might not
install the debug runtime anymore.

Its better to just get the 9.0 SDK and keep the 8.1 docs laying around.
    Pilgrimage: Utah's first annual demoparty on August 9th, 2003
               <http://pilgrimage.scene.org>

1. DX9 D3DRS_DEPTHBIAS vs. DX8 D3DRS_ZBIAS

The API docs indicate:

"The units for the D3DRS_DEPTHBIAS and D3DRS_SLOPESCALEDEPTHBIAS
render states depend on whether z-buffering or w-buffering is enabled. The
application must provide suitable values."

Assuming z-buffering, what values are appropriate to mimic the DX8
ZBIAS render state in DX9?

Does anyone know of a good reference explaining the math behind this?
I'm not happy with any of the docs that I've found.

-scott

2. Website Update

3. DX8 to DX9 conversion problem (rendertarget)

4. SoGatMatrixAction?

5. DX8 DX9 difference / unhelpful help

6. Text antialias with supersampling too slow , any alternative ?

7. Switched from DX8 to DX9 and lost 75 % of the performance

8. Newbie question

9. DX9 and DX8 working together

10. direct 3d error for dx8 when running dxdiag with dx9

11. DX8 -> DX9 Shaders

12. DX8 Interfaces with the DX9 SDK

13. Converting DX8.1 code to DX9