Software Rendering Using DirectDraw

Post by Michae » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 21:40:52

Hi,

I've started my own little project to develop a software
3D engine using DirectDraw for the graphics rendering.

I would like to know if DirectDraw has been improved, in
terms of performance, etc, since DirectX 7?

Thanks,

Michael

Post by Rob » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 00:11:04

| I've started my own little project to develop a software
| 3D engine using DirectDraw for the graphics rendering.
|
| I would like to know if DirectDraw has been improved, in
| terms of performance, etc, since DirectX 7?

Nope DirectDraw 7 was the last release, its still in the SDK so theres nothing
stopping you from using it but you will not get any improvements to it.
Personally as it sounds like you've just started this project I would move to
Direct3D instead. If you only need 2D aspects this is pretty easily
accomplished in D3D and there are lots of articles on 2D in 3D if you're not
familiar with D3D.

Best,
Rob

Software Rendering Using DirectDraw

Post by Michae » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 01:21:26

Thanks for your reply Rob.

This software renderer is nothing more than a learning
excerise in order to get a good understanding of how 3D
and a 3D Engine actually works.

Later, if all does well with this, I will move onto
Direct3D and implement a hardware accel version.

Regards,

Michael

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>| I've started my own little project to develop a
software
>| 3D engine using DirectDraw for the graphics rendering.
>|
>| I would like to know if DirectDraw has been improved,
in
>| terms of performance, etc, since DirectX 7?

>Nope DirectDraw 7 was the last release, its still in the

SDK so theres nothing
Quote:>stopping you from using it but you will not get any
improvements to it.
>Personally as it sounds like you've just started this

project I would move to
Quote:>Direct3D instead. If you only need 2D aspects this is
pretty easily
>accomplished in D3D and there are lots of articles on 2D
in 3D if you're not
>familiar with D3D.

>Best,
>Rob

>.

1. Rendering faster using software than hardware on Windows NT

Some OpenGL software I have written for Windows NT renders faster in some cases on software only
than with an OpenGL accelerator.  For objects with a large number of polygons the accelerator is
much faster, but for simple objects of fewer than 20 polygons, using software only renders these
faster.  The acceleration is so much slower that a 33 MHz 486 is just as fast.  The machines I
tested on were 200 MHz Pentium Pro's with either Intergraph or a Glint accelerator.  I am trying to
animate some simple objects by repeatedly rendering them.  The rendering uses double buffering and I
call SwapBuffer.  I don't call glFinish, glFlush, or any delays.  Each time I render I call
glRasterPos3f, recompute the near and far clip, and call gluPerspective.

--

Software Consultant     www.vianova.com/~vianova
Via Nova                OpenGL, Open Inventor products for Windows 95/NT

2. ZMIN, ZMAX in hit record under Windows NT sometimes backward

3. ReBoot rendered using SoftImage software.

4. Anyone use LW's expressions?

5. Making multiple document(window mode) using DirectDraw

6. Info needed re: TOPAS 3D graphics software

7. Making multiple window using DirectDraw

8. Data from graph!!??

9. Making MDI using DirectDraw

10. Problems using DirectDraw and Windows API

11. using oGL over directDraw?

12. Using DirectDraw and OpenGl on the same time

13. OpenGL Using DirectDraw And 2D with 3dfx