mesh animation tutorials?

Post by garry » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 04:58:19

Hi, im looking for any tutorials for animating a 3d mesh.

I can export one from 3dsm and it plays in the mesh viewer - so now i need
to write some functions to get it in my game.

I've tried to learn from the skinmesh example - but haven't got a clue about
that.

What i'm looking for really is a theory.. like 'you need to create this so
that this can do that and read from there' etc more than just code.

Am I right in thinking that when you export your .x you export the bones and
directx uses the bones for the animation instead of keyframes?

Thanks for any help, this seems to be the most confusing part of directx
yet!

mesh animation tutorials?

Post by Cronus3 » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 06:41:34

Quote:> I can export one from 3dsm and it plays in the mesh viewer - so now i need
> to write some functions to get it in my game.

> I've tried to learn from the skinmesh example - but haven't got a clue
about
> that.

> What i'm looking for really is a theory.. like 'you need to create this so
> that this can do that and read from there' etc more than just code.

Real time Rendering 2nd Ed. has a section on vertex blending theory.  Game
Programming Gems I has a couple essays on it as well.  However, I would look
up the papers by Jeff Lander that he wrote for game developer magazine.  He
did a few on character animation.  You can find them on his site
http://www.darwin3d.com/gamedev.htm.  Check the years 1998-99 for the
animation ones IIRC.  And finally, another good paper on vertex blending is
DirectX 8.0: Enhancing Real-Time Character Animation with Matrix Palette
Skinning and Vertex Shaders avaliable at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/01/06/Matrix/

Quote:> Am I right in thinking that when you export your .x you export the bones
and
> directx uses the bones for the animation instead of keyframes?

It exports the bone hierarchy and for each bone saves a set of keyframes.
The application then determines which two keyframes we are inbetween, and
then interpolates between those two.
Quote:

> Thanks for any help, this seems to be the most confusing part of directx
> yet!

1. New site (bicubic mesh tutorial, personal gallery, raytracing tools links)

Greetings all.  I've been following this group for some time now and
have gotten many, many useful hints and tips from it.  I decided that,
to make my contribution, I'd create a tutorial about one of the more
fascinating objects in POV... the bicubic patch.  The tutorial, at this
point, is designed to be a showcase for what one can do with a single
mesh.  I hope to add complex shapes and example animations soon... as
exams permit.  Anyhow, feel free to check it out, as well as my own
gallery, and let me know what you think.  I am building it for everyone,
so if there's some information that you feel would be good to include,
or something that should be added or changed... let me know.
  Incidentally, I've started archiving the newsgroup.  I scanned the FAQ
quickly and didn't see anything about an ftp site for postings... so I
decided to start one.  I'll open the archive as soon as I can write a
UNIX shell script to sort the incoming articles and to allow a search by
date/subject/author whatever.  If there already is an archive... someone
please let me know.  Thanks much!

Brassman's Graphics Page:
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jeffab/graphics.html

           |UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN ***** COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING|
           |Michigan Marching Bone *** Michigan Pops Orchestra |
                       | SEDS/VORTEX Design Team |
                       ---------------------------

                          _.   Jeff Balcerski
  _______________________- | http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jeffab

 ||   | |                 -:
 \\_____________|>===============================)

2. Search IPAS for 3DS 4 Wave

3. Short Mesh Smooth tutorial posted

4. Realistic Cactus

5. Tutorial for Mesh interpolation?

6. Can Anybody see this now?

7. mesh warp animation?

8. ***NEW*** Computer Animation-oriented Page (CharAnim, Meshes, HTML)

9. Vertex/Mesh animation

10. destroying parts of mesh in animation

11. HELP ME WITH THE MESH ANIMATION