Fullscreen Framerate Inconsistent

Post by Sebastia » Tue, 05 Nov 2002 20:21:10

Hi,

when I run my app in fullscreen mode, the framerate is
dead low each other frame, e.g.:

210
34
208
34
210
35

When I run it windowed it's fine. What did I overlook?

Sebastian

Fullscreen Framerate Inconsistent

Post by Frecklefoo » Wed, 06 Nov 2002 00:38:34

Quote:> when I run my app in fullscreen mode, the framerate is
> dead low each other frame,
> <snip>
> When I run it windowed it's fine. What did I overlook?

I don't know why you get the inconsistent frame rate in fullscreen mode, but
your frame rate will always be higher in windowed mode.  In fullscreen mode,
your app can only render in sync with the vertical refresh.  In windowed
mode, your app can render whenever it darn well pleases and generally
renders a lot faster since it doesn't have to wait for a v-sync.

--
Frecklefoot
Please do not email me your follow-up

Fullscreen Framerate Inconsistent

Post by Rich [Microsoft Direct3D MV » Wed, 06 Nov 2002 01:26:47

Quote:>I don't know why you get the inconsistent frame rate in fullscreen mode, but
>your frame rate will always be higher in windowed mode.  In fullscreen mode,
>your app can only render in sync with the vertical refresh.  In windowed
>mode, your app can render whenever it darn well pleases and generally
>renders a lot faster since it doesn't have to wait for a v-sync.

Not necessarily; it all depends on the swap effect and presentation
interval you use in your present parameters.
  Direct3D Book <http://www.xmission.com/~legalize/book/>
    izfree: Open source tools for Windows Installer
            <http://izfree.sourceforge.net>

Post by Robert Dunlop [MS MVP » Wed, 06 Nov 2002 03:31:09

> >I don't know why you get the inconsistent frame rate in fullscreen
mode, but
> >your frame rate will always be higher in windowed mode.  In
fullscreen mode,
> >your app can only render in sync with the vertical refresh.  In
windowed
> >mode, your app can render whenever it darn well pleases and generally
> >renders a lot faster since it doesn't have to wait for a v-sync.

> Not necessarily; it all depends on the swap effect and presentation
> interval you use in your present parameters.

True.  What I find interesting in this case is that if you add of the
frame time for each pair of frames you come right out to 60hz, fairly
dead on.  I wonder, is this a triple buffered application?  I suspect
this because you usually don't see a beat like that develop with double
buffering unless frames are being missed, and the 60hz overall frame
rate makes me think that the default rate is in effect and being met.

--
Robert Dunlop
The X-Zone

Fullscreen Framerate Inconsistent

Post by Sebastia » Wed, 06 Nov 2002 04:01:12

Hi,

no, this is not a triple buffered application (I specified
BackBufferCount = 1 when creating the device). I found out
that the symptoms appear on my laptop only, and it works
fine on other machines. So I guess it has to do with the
VBI, because laptops don't have one. How is this handled
on laptops?

Regards,

Sebastian

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>"Rich [Microsoft Direct3D MVP]"

>> [Please do not mail me a copy of your followup]

the secret code

>> >I don't know why you get the inconsistent frame rate
in fullscreen
>mode, but
>> >your frame rate will always be higher in windowed
mode.  In
>fullscreen mode,
>> >your app can only render in sync with the vertical
refresh.  In
>windowed
>> >mode, your app can render whenever it darn well

pleases and generally
Quote:>> >renders a lot faster since it doesn't have to wait for
a v-sync.

>> Not necessarily; it all depends on the swap effect and
presentation
>> interval you use in your present parameters.

>True.  What I find interesting in this case is that if
you add of the
>frame time for each pair of frames you come right out to
60hz, fairly
>dead on.  I wonder, is this a triple buffered

application?  I suspect
Quote:>this because you usually don't see a beat like that
develop with double
>buffering unless frames are being missed, and the 60hz
overall frame
>rate makes me think that the default rate is in effect
and being met.

>--
>Robert Dunlop
>The X-Zone
>http://www.directxzone.com/
>Microsoft DirectX MVP
>-------------
>The opinions expressed in this message are my own

personal views and do
Quote:>not reflect the official views of the Microsoft

Corporation. The MVP

Quote:>program does not constitute employment or contractual
obligation with
>Microsoft.

>.

1. Is it me or BMRT who is inconsistent?

(I tried to send this as a private mail to Larry Gritz but apparently,
someone at Pixar has decided that the entire Link?ping University is a
spam originating site, and I have to work around that somehow).

When rendering foo.rib from the enclosed tar file with BMRT 2.3.6b on
Solaris 2.6, P.z inside the volume shader is 6 and I.z = 6, which
seems consistent with the (visibility) ray entering the volume at P-I
and leaving it at P.

However, when rendering bar.rib, P.z is still 6, while I.z is
"infinity". Since the ray enters the volume at the polygon (z = 6) and
never leaves it, I was expecting P.z = "very large" and P.z - I.z = 6.
Am I missing something here?

begin 664 example.tar.gz

MX6V_9?L^`/>XPWWF^A2`44Z="=!1_U6O*G6D`":Z4N*G>?O.'ZD;J;)(UU><

MWNK//W7K7^=+X[<OW]&+I?S]_',ZY)]Y7IM_9F/^#V&4_%_H3);%LU#B:P7`
MP/]!336VRG34-?;E'SPVY-^A?IM_FV'^#Z'LM^7F.9B:QKO1W(^K!,Y!JWI\

2A!!"""&$$!K!)SA%=TH`*```
`
end

2. That Lincoln Image

3. Tiff 5.0 (Re: GIF viewers are inconsistent)

4. Freeware/Shareware MPEG Viewer?

5. GIF viewers are inconsistent

6. POV parse inconsistent

7. clone tool inconsistent?

8. Inconsistent Print Quality: PSP problem maybe?

9. inconsistent Text Spacing Prob in PS5

10. inconsistent swatch dithering problem

11. Inconsistent Dynamics