Stripping algorithm in directx

Post by Gürkan Demirc » Fri, 16 May 2003 01:45:22

Hi,

does anyone know which algorithm directx uses to create strips ?
(ConverMeshSubsetToSingleStrip).
I want to test the tunneling algorithm, but i don't know whether directx
already implements this.

regards,
Grkan

Stripping algorithm in directx

Post by Craig Peeper [MS » Fri, 16 May 2003 02:49:09

ConvertMeshSubsetToSingleStrip does not reorder a mesh.  It generates a
strip from the current order of the faces.  ID3DXMesh::Optimize is the
function that does strip reordering.  The D3DXMESHOPT_STRIPREORDER is a
basic greedy algorithm going for longest strips and D3DXMESHOPT_VERTEXCACHE
is a variant of the algorithm in Hugue Hoppe's vertex cache siggraph paper.

--
Craig Peeper
Microsoft, Direct3D

Quote:> Hi,

> does anyone know which algorithm directx uses to create strips ?
> (ConverMeshSubsetToSingleStrip).
> I want to test the tunneling algorithm, but i don't know whether directx
> already implements this.

> regards,
> Grkan

Stripping algorithm in directx

Post by Gürkan Demirc » Sat, 17 May 2003 00:46:07

thank you craig

Quote:> ConvertMeshSubsetToSingleStrip does not reorder a mesh.  It generates a
> strip from the current order of the faces.  ID3DXMesh::Optimize is the
> function that does strip reordering.  The D3DXMESHOPT_STRIPREORDER is a
> basic greedy algorithm going for longest strips and

D3DXMESHOPT_VERTEXCACHE
> is a variant of the algorithm in Hugue Hoppe's vertex cache siggraph
paper.

> --
> Craig Peeper
> Microsoft, Direct3D

rights.

> > Hi,

> > does anyone know which algorithm directx uses to create strips ?
> > (ConverMeshSubsetToSingleStrip).
> > I want to test the tunneling algorithm, but i don't know whether directx
> > already implements this.

> > regards,
> > Grkan

1. stripping algorithms ?

(sorry for the multipost to c.g.a., my fault, and was unable to cancel
the first one)

Dear c.g.v. readers.

I'm looking for any links/informations to sophisticated/recent stripping
algorithms (transforming triangles to triangles strips).

Any help (links, files) would be useful.

Thanks a lot.

(please, cc: any answers to my email also : i'll be out of town a week,
and my french server does not seem to save a lot of articles in the
comp.* hierarchy).
--
Sebastien Barre : http://www.hds.utc.fr/~barre/

2. Peuck SDK (fully OO GAME engine)

3. Triangle-Strip Algorithm Needed

4. Check out my 3dsmax site!!! NEWLY RE-DESIGNED!

5. Algorithm to combine triangle meshes into triangle strips

6. OpenGL lighting problem

7. stripping algorithms ?

8. Realtime triangle strip generation algorithms

9. Triangle-Strip Algorithm Needed

10. Seek algorithm to order coordinate points for T-Mesh Strips

11. triangle strip algorithms

12. triangle strip algorithm from SGI