books: Graphic Gems, Game programming Gems

books: Graphic Gems, Game programming Gems

Post by Thomas Stuef » Wed, 16 Oct 2002 04:29:10

Greetings,

I'm looking for books on the subject of game development, especially of
graphics and 3D algorithms, and what I've read so far about the "Graphic
Gems" series and the "Game Programming Gems" series looks promising. Only
problem is the pricetags, so I'd like to ask around before buying..

My questions to all who know the books:

Currently there seem to be 3 parts of the "Game Programming Gems". Which
part would be the best to buy? Are they complementary or do the get
repetitive?

Same question about the Graphic Gems... which one would be the best to get?
Is the original "Graphic Gems" still up to date? How outdated are the
algorithms described there? Are these books bound to any special APIs or are
the topics more generic?

Thanks for helping!

bye, thomas stuefe

books: Graphic Gems, Game programming Gems

Post by Tom Ley » Wed, 16 Oct 2002 10:57:30

I own the first gameprogamming gems book, and the stuff is not compiler or
api specific, it is C++ / C, and it uses OpenGl in examples, but could be
applied elsewhere. It is basically a guide to get you started performing a
task, so that you know what you need to learn - and have some examples. Lots
of articles on Lots of things.

Quote:> Greetings,

> I'm looking for books on the subject of game development, especially of
> graphics and 3D algorithms, and what I've read so far about the "Graphic
> Gems" series and the "Game Programming Gems" series looks promising. Only
> problem is the pricetags, so I'd like to ask around before buying..

> My questions to all who know the books:

> Currently there seem to be 3 parts of the "Game Programming Gems". Which
> part would be the best to buy? Are they complementary or do the get
> repetitive?

> Same question about the Graphic Gems... which one would be the best to
get?
> Is the original "Graphic Gems" still up to date? How outdated are the
> algorithms described there? Are these books bound to any special APIs or
are
> the topics more generic?

> Thanks for helping!

> bye, thomas stuefe

books: Graphic Gems, Game programming Gems

Post by Peter Rac » Wed, 16 Oct 2002 21:15:39

Quote:> Greetings,

> I'm looking for books on the subject of game development, especially of
> graphics and 3D algorithms, and what I've read so far about the "Graphic
> Gems" series and the "Game Programming Gems" series looks promising. Only
> problem is the pricetags, so I'd like to ask around before buying..

> My questions to all who know the books:

> Currently there seem to be 3 parts of the "Game Programming Gems". Which
> part would be the best to buy? Are they complementary or do the get
> repetitive?

> Same question about the Graphic Gems... which one would be the best to
get?
> Is the original "Graphic Gems" still up to date? How outdated are the
> algorithms described there? Are these books bound to any special APIs or
are
> the topics more generic?

I know "Game Programming Gems", these are good books. Think about how much
you can program for that money what they cost? 2-3 hours? If you want to
find out everything what is described in these books yourself, you need
years. I think these books are a very good investigiation, buy all 3 of
them.

best regards
Peter

books: Graphic Gems, Game programming Gems

Post by Alex C?t » Thu, 17 Oct 2002 05:13:40

Hi Thomas,

I own Game Programming Gems 1 and 2 and I'd highly reccomend them.

As far as I'm concerned, the information in Graphics Gems is interesting but I
definitely wouldn't pay that much for books on graphical and numerical
techniques and algorithms. Doing searches on the web and on newsgroup archives
will yield better results.

Moreover, they stopped printing the Graphics Gems series in order to switch to a
different publishing medium (I believe they printed their subsequent stuff in
some sort of journal or magazine). The books themselves are therefore not
up-to-date (although most of these algorithms are timeless).

    - Alex

> Greetings,

> I'm looking for books on the subject of game development, especially of
> graphics and 3D algorithms, and what I've read so far about the "Graphic
> Gems" series and the "Game Programming Gems" series looks promising. Only
> problem is the pricetags, so I'd like to ask around before buying..

> My questions to all who know the books:

> Currently there seem to be 3 parts of the "Game Programming Gems". Which
> part would be the best to buy? Are they complementary or do the get
> repetitive?

> Same question about the Graphic Gems... which one would be the best to get?
> Is the original "Graphic Gems" still up to date? How outdated are the
> algorithms described there? Are these books bound to any special APIs or are
> the topics more generic?

> Thanks for helping!

> bye, thomas stuefe

books: Graphic Gems, Game programming Gems

Post by PunX » Thu, 17 Oct 2002 20:35:10

hi

Can anybody tell me what topics Game programming gems cover? I dont want
to spend money on book i havent seen. I dont rely on customer reviews in
Amazon.com

PunX

> Hi Thomas,

> I own Game Programming Gems 1 and 2 and I'd highly reccomend them.

> As far as I'm concerned, the information in Graphics Gems is interesting but I
> definitely wouldn't pay that much for books on graphical and numerical
> techniques and algorithms. Doing searches on the web and on newsgroup archives
> will yield better results.

> Moreover, they stopped printing the Graphics Gems series in order to switch to a
> different publishing medium (I believe they printed their subsequent stuff in
> some sort of journal or magazine). The books themselves are therefore not
> up-to-date (although most of these algorithms are timeless).

>     - Alex

> > Greetings,

> > I'm looking for books on the subject of game development, especially of
> > graphics and 3D algorithms, and what I've read so far about the "Graphic
> > Gems" series and the "Game Programming Gems" series looks promising. Only
> > problem is the pricetags, so I'd like to ask around before buying..

> > My questions to all who know the books:

> > Currently there seem to be 3 parts of the "Game Programming Gems". Which
> > part would be the best to buy? Are they complementary or do the get
> > repetitive?

> > Same question about the Graphic Gems... which one would be the best to get?
> > Is the original "Graphic Gems" still up to date? How outdated are the
> > algorithms described there? Are these books bound to any special APIs or are
> > the topics more generic?

> > Thanks for helping!

> > bye, thomas stuefe

books: Graphic Gems, Game programming Gems

Post by Thomas Stuef » Fri, 18 Oct 2002 03:25:00

Thanks to everyone for answering!

bye, thomas

1. GEM-IMG and GEM-METAFILE

Where could I find GEM-IMG and GEM-METAFILE (vector) pictures ?
Does anybody have programs that convert *something* to GEM-METAFILE ?
Also GEM-METAFILE and MAC DRAW format-definitions gratefully accepted !

So if you can (and want to) help please email.

Thanks, (;->)
! Markku M{enp{{ (jackin)   ! I'll put my Eaddress here as soon I !
! University of Tampere, CS ! know that it is permanent           !

2. Shading language with MSVC++ 5

3. Graphics Gems IV - bib file for book

4. Lofted NURB surfaces?

5. Graphics Gems Book Series

6. como se haceexportar del Autocad14 al Quark expres?

7. "Graphics Gems" books

8. Graphics Gems and other books

9. Graphics Gems book(s)?

10. Graphics Gems books still available?

11. Description of the graphics gems book series...