DX8 crash

Post by Pete Memmot » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 07:29:46

Hi,

I'm writing a fairly straightforward DX8 screensaver using the sample
provided with the SDK. However, I'm getting a strange crash in the DX8 dll
when I try to run the program outside of the de*.
Whilst developing the app everything works fine for both debug and release
builds. But when I simply run the .scr from explorer or a DOS prompt it
crashes with an access violation in the DX8 dll. Using a debug build and
choosing to debug it, there's only one line on the callstack and so I can't
determine when the crash occurs. The strange thing is that running it from
Visual Studio, even using "Start Without Debugging", then it runs without a
problem.

Anyone seen this behaviour before ? otherwise I have some very tedious trial
and error debugging to do...

Thanks,
Pete.

DX8 crash

Post by Pete Memmot » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 07:45:16

Ah, sorted it, was just a null texture handle. Doh, I'm working too hard...
Please ignore this thread.

DX8 crash

Post by S a 6 r » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 10:50:43

actully i faced this before with directX9.0. while developing 3D App.
running it from the VS.net it runs fine

when i run it from Explorer it gave different result than running it from
VS.net

when i debuged it using log file, it was very strange that the same Mesh
loaded in a differnt way when loaded from VS, and when running from
explorer.

i didn't find a solution for this , so i re-write what i want in a different
way :( !!

Sa6ry

Quote:> Hi,

> I'm writing a fairly straightforward DX8 screensaver using the sample
> provided with the SDK. However, I'm getting a strange crash in the DX8 dll
> when I try to run the program outside of the de*.
> Whilst developing the app everything works fine for both debug and release
> builds. But when I simply run the .scr from explorer or a DOS prompt it
> crashes with an access violation in the DX8 dll. Using a debug build and
> choosing to debug it, there's only one line on the callstack and so I
can't
> determine when the crash occurs. The strange thing is that running it from
> Visual Studio, even using "Start Without Debugging", then it runs without
> problem.

> Anyone seen this behaviour before ? otherwise I have some very tedious
trial
> and error debugging to do...

> Thanks,
> Pete.

1. Additional DX8 Crash (Halt) under Win2k

Hello!
I am having a very serious problem which is very similar
(if not the same as the older post) however my situation
is different.
I use Win2k and Gefroce256, Dx8.0a (DEBUG on everything).
I do not use the DX8 framework, but my own, and every
couple of times I run and close a DX8 application the
computer just halts without a reboot or anything. It
happends when the application closes itself (for me I see
the windowed filled with the default random color dx8
debug dll's clear it). The debug monitor is showing the
normal status it should show (MemFini ok. Etc etc nothing
irregular).
The problem is also occuring when doing the same with the
NVIDIA's effects browser (another app that closes and
reopens windows gradually).
It might be NVIDIA driver bug, but you can never know :)
DXDiag and everything else run fine.
Thanks

2. VideoCD and CDi on new iMacDV

3. 64mgs...crash, crash,crash

4. digital imaging site

5. PageMaker 6.5 + 7.6.1 = crash crash crash?

6. Normal from the point on the surface !

7. Alien Skin 32 bit CRASH CRASH on PS3.0.4

8. Feudal Priority Trees

9. CRASH CRASH!!!

10. CRASH Corel Draw 8 CRASH

11. PI 4.2 goes CRASH CRASH!

12. *****Crash Help, Crash Help*****

13. Texture stages in DX8 & GeForce 2 GTS